MH │22

In the previous chapter: Oriane found the underground repository. While exploring above an air vent, she witnessed strange robed persons performing arcane magicks. She was found out.

-----

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"Welcome." It was all he said before one of her knees became too heavy, dropping down in acquiesce.

"So, she knows her manners!" the 'master' exclaimed, arms out-stretched dramatically. Oriane knew he was mocking her completely involuntary half-bow-half-kneel when he snickered down at her. Why had she knelt on the ground? Yet, he looked at her with only an amused, rather fatherly, expression - as though she was an impertinent child to be told off!

His eyes flared a brighter. Hands clasped together behind his back. The crack of his palms made her jerk. Despite the smile donned on his lips, he further remarked in a menacing tone, "Let's see what else she knows."

"Yes, master." The man beside her, who had incidentally caught her, stood up, though not before bowing in submission once again. For someone emitting such an awful feeling about him, he sure was meek and compliant in front of his superior.

The 'master' clapped a hand on his back. "You've done well, Urien. You may alleviate yourself from guard duty in this meeting. When I've dealt with this," he gestured to her with a nod. "You may join the circle with the others."

"Thank you, master." Another bow. Urien tucked his hands in his long sleeves and folded them submissively against his belly. A small smile graced his lips. Oriane dreaded to know what his sinister mind was currently ruminating.

The master then turned his attentions to her. His hand snapped out and suddenly seized her chin, forcing her to stare straight into his blazing rage-filled eyes.

"Who are you?" he asked, voice unexpectedly soft. If his eyes were enraged, shouldn't his tone follow? It was giving her bewildering mixed signals. Continuing, the smile turned into a sneer. "The Enforcer sent you, didn't he? You will tell me the truth or, so the Holiness help you, I will make you..." Leaning towards her, "Regret" whispered in her ear.

Oriane blinked. Once. Twice. Regret? He means to murder her... Her lungs started to constrict distressingly. As she tried to breathe in, her chest rose in managed puffs. Shifting her eyes away to contemplate his questions, she found she had absolutely no idea what he spoke about. It made her freeze over in uneasiness.

"What Enforcer? I don't under-"

Slap. She yelped in surprise.

Her right cheek didn't only sting, her entire head rung when his hand collided with her face. Disbelief and incredulity shot through her. Never in her life had she been slapped before. It was indignant and darned painful. Whimpers escaped.

Why had she come down here in the first place? If she had been diligent and not curious about all this business she could be ignorant and still be up there in the school without worrying if her cheek bone had been broken by a hard slap by this man.

The 'master' then snatched her chin up to face him again to force her attention back. Entirely disoriented, she objected with a squeak. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes, but somehow, it stayed. The blotch of it blurred her vision somewhat.

"Who are you?" he insisted, smiling down at her softly as though he hadn't just slapped her with all the force in the world. She could tell he was getting impatient with her now. Ignoring his smile, it was his eyes that gave her answers. They were blaring red.

Jaw aching from the burning half of her face and the rough handling, not to mention the shock hitting her system, she struggled to answer.

It dawned on her that if she made one false move, her life could be in danger. These people clearly cared naught for law and authority. They could do as they pleased - even kill her to obtain silence if need be. At that conclusion, Oriane felt fear coil around her core, dragging the blood from her face, making her feel faint.