MH │31

In the previous chapter: Confrontation in the dining hall between Marian and Elle. Marian was sent up to the staff area by a professor, Mister Mangual, but the Executive wasn't there.

-----

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

It did turn out to be a rather complicated situation, as Carolina said.

Later that evening, she, Marian, and Charlotte squeezed in supper just before the dining hall prepared for the other half of the student population who had... unfortunate dietary requirements. As quickly as they could, they had wolfed down their food and headed out back to their dormitories in record time. Mister Mangual never showed up nor called for Marian. No doubt he had failed in his endeavour to prosecute her for that stunt earlier.

"Anna, wanna hang around with us for a bit?" offered Marian with a wink when they were at the dorm entrance. "I still owe you a tarot reading."

Oriane nodded. She wanted to unload her worries and was indeed curious as to what a tarot reading could reveal to her. What better place to do that than in the privacy of their dorm?

Marian unlocked the door to their room and ushered her into their living area.

"One moment." She held up a finger and dashed into her room to grab that stack of tarot cards. When she came out, she also held a small black pouch by its knot. The crackling of beads sliding against each other sounded whenever she shifted it.

"What's that?" Oriane asked, eyes locked curiously on the bag.

"This?" She jiggled it. "They're tumbled crystals used to focus the aura. Goddess knows, we'll need extra direction what with that crazy block you have." She tapped two fingers at the side of her head.

Marian wore five amethyst rings. If she had worn a lot of scarves and loose clothing, she would look every part of a stereotypical psychic. Yet, this was contrasted by her casual jeans and a pretty maroon blouse, complete with ruffles.

Right. The block that obscured Charlotte's divination from yesterday. Oriane had almost forgotten about it. Charlotte fainting had been frightening and it rather made her think twice about the merits of magick since it was so dangerous. But if she could somehow have it removed, perhaps she would be a normal elemental and fit in for once in her life.

Should she, though? Did she truly want to fully be a part of this hazardous world?

Time to change topics. That was a debate for another day. "Erm," she began, uncertainly seeped into her tone.

Oriane watched as Marian tipped the pouch onto the wide coffee table in the middle of the room and promptly began to arrange them in what appears to be a half-circle. They were all medium-sized violet beads of various shapes.

"What are these?" asked she.

"They're amethysts. Used to stimulate but also, soothe," explained Marian. "It's like spiritual caffeine."

While she arranged the crystals, she motioned for her to sit on the sofas. As she sunk into the cushions and staring at the purple placements, she did begin to feel rather calm. The only missing was a cuppa.

Charlotte, on the other hand, turned her back to them and remarked, "I'm going into my room. Holler' if you need anything."

Smiling knowingly, Marian clucked her tongue, "She's trying to give you privacy. I've told her loads of times that, seriously, nobody cares if there's an extra person in the room, but she still goes into hiding every time. It's probably a stupid habit from her uptight folks. Goddess, but are they one of the most old-fashioned people in the world." She had just completed a semi-circle that started from one end of the table to the other end. She then laid the small stack of tarot cards in the centre. "Or maybe... she's just chicken about seeing how I operate – way cooler and uninhibited, by the way."