MH │30

In the previous chapter: Scarlett confronted Oriane and Shireen took her back to the dorm to hand her some class notes. Oriane went to find Charlotte and Marian after.

-----

CHAPTER THIRTY

The moment they entered the dining hall, their vision zoned in on Jessica and Elle sitting with the student council.

Elle had on a low-cut blue singlet and Jessica dressed in a similar manner, but in green. They were both flirting animatedly, though it would appear they mainly focused their attentions on Zach. Despite not being able to see his expression clearly, as his back was to them, he held himself stiffly upright and Oriane noted how his fingers drummed impatiently on the table.

Sitting opposite him were Robert and Scott. Both appeared lost in a serious debate whispered under their breaths. It wasn't until she entered the room that Robert broke away from the conversation. His eyes lit up when he saw her.

Oriane's breath caught in her throat. No one had ever looked at her that way – as though she brightened his day just by being in the same room. She immediately forgot whatever transgressions that occurred previously.

Next to her, red clouded Marian's vision.

It didn't help that when Elle noticed her, or perhaps instinctively felt the fury steaming out of her adversary and turned their way, she smirked. Then she reached over with manicured fingers and tucked a strand of loose hair behind Jessica's ear. Clearly, Jessica's loyalty had shifted to Elle. The ice elemental was definitely not above rubbing the fact in Marian's face.

In the next blink of an eye, Marian was crossing the threshold, her right hand was fisted and glowing with energy in a dramatic show of strength. She was, however, immediately held back by Charlotte and Oriane. Each grabbed hold of one of her arms. Oriane had done so instinctively and rubbed her other hand on Marian's back in comfort.

"What do you think you're doing?" asked Charlotte in a whisper. Her eyes pointedly looked down at Marian's quivering fist.

"She wants a fight," Marian jerked her head in challenge, yet she kept her voice levelled. However, her tone gave away the extent to which she was affected by Elle's subtle provocation. "I'm more than happy to dish it out."

The students surrounding their immediate vicinity paused what they were doing and looked at them. The air shifted with tension even with their voices down.

"Don't be so hot-headed," Charlotte advised.

"I'm not. This should've happened ages ago." Marian yanked her arms off their grasps. "I'm not playing nice anymore."

Charlotte shook her head in disbelief and stepped back. "You're going to start a fight in the middle of the dining hall? Can't you see she's trying to get you riled up? Then, who's going to be sent to the Executive's office?"

"If I'm going to be sent to the office, she–" meaning Elle. "–will be sent to the infirmary. I can guarantee you that."

The thing Oriane had least expected of Marian was for her to start a fight in public. Didn't she know she was already on notice for that little incident with the hex just over a week ago?

Reservations be damned, Marian advanced with her rage at high mast. Within the next second, she had conjured an orange orb in her right hand and swung her arm back.

"Wait! Hang–" cried Oriane.

Marian threw the orb straight at Elle. In preparation, an ice shield formed protectively in front of its host. But unlike the last time, Marian hadn't thrown a fireball. It was an energy orb. The orange glow seeped past the shield easily and hit its target.