MH │43

In the previous chapter: The Alchemy and Metaphysics blocks came crashing down in an explosion. Oriane figured the Rosicrucians had to be behind it.

-----

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

The five of them burst into the room. Though the door was locked, Marian somehow unlocked it with a quick hex. A whisper of a few words from the tip of her tongue and a twirl of her fingers and pop went the lock. 

Besides, the whole point was to ambush. A polite knock and request to enter wouldn't do.

Elle's dorms were on the second floor, right above Marian's and Charlotte's except her's was a singular suite. Given how tight the doors were, the inside was implausibly spacious and spanned much further than physically possible. Oriane supposed there were greater things to be surprised about. Strangeness no longer troubled her quite so much after a bit more than a month immersed in a world of magick.

"Elle?" Zachary called out.

Shuffling and fumbling out of her lavatory was a dishevelled Elle. Make-up was running down her cheeks, her hair tied back messily, and she wore a bathroom robe that had seen better days. Well-worn, the blue originally-fluffy material draped to the floor.

She had been crying and was obviously embarrassed to be caught doing so. She quickly turned that into anger at their intrusion.

"What are you doing here?" she screeched, mortified.

Elle prepared to make a dash back into the lavatory and slam the door on them but Robert extended his arm and stopped the door from moving. She wasn't aware, throttling the door handle in vain before giving up with a sob.

"We just want to talk. Ask a few questions," explained Zachary.

"Yeah? You didn't need to break open my door and barge in!"

Marian grinned. "Sorry, that was my idea."

It was like she just noticed her presence. When their eyes met, Elle became enraged. "You!" She pointed a finger at her. "What did you do this time?"

"Me?" Marian cackled evilly. "No, the question is what did you do?"

Zachary frowned at Marian's tone and shook his head a little in warning. He had emphasised numerously that they wanted to intimidate, rather than pick a fight. Supposed Marian's provocative tone crossed a line.

Shrugging, she put her hands behind her. "Fine fine..." she sighed.

Cutting straight to the chase, Zachary stated calmly, "We know about your affiliation with the Rosicrucians."

That got Elle's attention. Her colours of her cheeks drained. "I don't know what you're talking about," she scoffed, playing it down. A stray strand of hair fell on her face and she swiped it back with shaky fingers. "And I don't have to answer anything. Get out of my room before I call a teacher."

"That's not going to happen. We know you joined them and, look, we're just trying to figure out what happened earlier today," he insisted.

Rage highlighted her icy blue irises, they looked almost white. "What don't you get? I don't know what you're talking about!" she snarled out. "Get. Out. Of. My. Room!"

Marian pushed past the rest of them and stood with her feet planted a shoulder's width apart, arms across her chest. "I saw you with them! I saw you perform a duplication spell, whatever that's called. Don't you deny it because I have evidence."

A hint of recognition flashed across her face but it was gone by the time Oriane blinked. 

"Evidence like what? I don't have a clue what you're talking about." One of Elle's hands shook badly, a thin layer of ice began coating her fist.