MH │28

In the previous chapter: Charlotte tried to help Oriane figure out her affinity, but was attacked by a mental block. Meanwhile, planning for the Autumnal Festival began. Robert invited Oriane to help.

-----

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

At the end of the second week of the term, Miss Hannah Aberline, a receptionist from the Chancellor's personal office, was dragged away into the shadows by a cloaked man.

Carolina, who was informed of the impending events beforehand, stood where her former colleague was and distracted the Chancellor and his personal assistant, Miss Palmer, stopping them from witnessing the arrest.

Inconveniently, no plan was fool proof. One other individual hid behind a column, witnessing the entire scenario unfold.

Thomas Aerius, the Ambassador, trembled. His cheeks puffed out and flared in red unpleasantly. It was decidedly a cowardly thing, hiding away while a woman was being kidnapped when he could somehow stop it. But through his many years in service to the Council of Education and the college, he learned that discretion was necessary.

Still, he was aware the local ex-Enforcer was involved in this. No one was as bold. And, he had been meaning to get rid of the man since he arrived. This was his moment.

Thomas clutched a black paper clip, one that McMurphy and those secretive people who worked for him used. He would say to the Chancellor that he collected it on the floor where Hannah disappeared.

Yes. A grin stretched across his reddened face. That will do.

-----

Charlotte handed Oriane an, in no way, small stack of papers. Some stapled, some were clipped together.

"This is all the things you missed on Tuesday and Wednesday. Aside from Maths, the other teachers already excused you from this week's homework." She flipped through the stack until she found a blue workbook. "You're finishing chapter one this week. Just get everything done up to chapter two and you'll be fine."

Oriane looked up at Charlotte and smiled gratefully. "You didn't run to each of my classes to get this, did you?"

"Ah no. It was Carolina. She came and handed this to me earlier."

Nodding, she remarked, "Okay. That's good. Thank you, Charlotte."

"No problem! That's what friends are for." She put a hand on her shoulder. "Anyway, let's get going before Mari–"

Running footsteps came from behind the two girls. Oriane turned and was greeted by Robert in his eye-catching green robe. He was accompanied by Scott, in his red one. They called out her name, as though in a hurry.

"We've been looking everywhere for you," Scott coughed out. Bending down and clutching his knees, he caught his breath. "There's a meeting for the fundraising. You coming?"

Robert nodded in greeting at Charlotte then smiled down at Oriane. It was one that made her blush a little. He didn't look as winded as his friend but he was perspiring a little. "It's starting soon. Wanna come alone?"

Oriane looked to Charlotte who sounded like she needed to go meet with Marian.

"You go. I'll be okay."

It was likely a bad idea to allow her to go off on her own. "You sure?"

Between pants, Scott pounded his chest lightly. "I'll– take her!" To Charlotte, he asked, "Where do you need to go?"

Charlotte blushed. "Back to the dorms."

"Great, let me catch my breath and we'll head out!" Scott hammered his chest with a fist as though to try to expel the debility out of his system. "You guys go on. See you two in the room."