MH │45

In the previous chapter: Having decided Oriane and Robert will attend the meeting, they were to be bugged with Ozzy's special anchors. The master of the cultists spoke to the Morrigan.

-----

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

The tinkering only made her more nervous.

Scott fiddled with the anchor, a graphite carved into the shape of a keyring, attaching it to her belt. He was also tempering it to 'align' with Ozzy's electric system - that was what they were calling the massive array of rune stones hanging on the wall behind the Student Council meeting room. Electricity darted from the stones this way and that, shooting white sparks every now and then. However, the second stone Scott played with was dull and mundane.

Oriane had changed into worn cropped jeans and a simple navy blue tee. It was comfortable and let her wear her belt without suspicion. Meanwhile, Charlotte had brought out several crystals and decorative patches to skew the focus away from the strangely textured black shiny stone.

"Is it done yet?" she badgered impatiently. She had been standing there for about half an hour now but Scott was still fiddling it.

"Almost," Scott replied with a hint of amusement. "Stand still and stop fidgeting. I know, you just can't wait to get back to your boyfriend." He faked a disgusted expression and gagged.

Robert walked by and smacked him on the head lightly. "Concentrate on your work, man. We're on a schedule here."

"Aw! My head, my head! I can't work anymore." Rubbing the back of his head, Scott pouted and feigned the pain. "It's okay buddy. I understand you can't bear seeing another man near her, I'll just go and-"

"For the love of all that is holy, Scott," intervened Zachary. "You've been going at them for the last few hours."

"Oh," Scott wriggled his eyebrows. "So, you'd like me to go at you then. Jealous, my friend?"

He gave him a blank unamused look. "No," he drawled and returned his attention to the huge notebook sprawled out in front of him.

He and Robert were discussing the action plan. Edan had somehow managed to scour up from the libraries a copy of the underground repository map. Those plans belonged to the old fortress destroyed during the wars.

Which war? Oriane had no clue. It wasn't recent. The basement of the old fortress, however, was never touched and remained an integral and structural part of the college. As she had remembered, there was an exit behind the auditorium. Whether it was accessible was another matter.

Edan had been studying the fading sheets for some time now and was making a series of notes on loose scraps of paper.

Reviewing the plan, Zachary pointed to the notes he had made and reminded Robert, who had returned from his loo break, "If we can find a way into the repository without needing to go through the long winding hallways, it would be a lot safer. As you can see here," he turned and pointed at a position on the map. "-there are several air ducts. It's risky to pass through and I think they might try to take advantage our blindness."

"As Anna said," Robert considered, rubbing his chin back and forth. "I don't think they're trying to ambush us."

"If they took the both of you hostage, we will be hard-pressed to do anything," he warned. "Best not take the risk."

Lips pursed in thought, he tilted his head back and looked up at the ceiling. Then, he sighed. "If you think that's best. But what if there isn't a clear entrance? You've got a better route to suggest?"

"There's no need. Figured it out!" whooped Edan behind Zachary.

Instantly, he had everyone looking at him expectantly.