MH │27

In the previous chapter: During a heated argument, a white flame burst around Uilliam. Oriane fainted immediately following it. Uilliam considered taking the Rosicrucians' less-than-benign offer.

-----

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

"I knew you were acting weird that day. Now tell us what happened." Marian put one hand on her hip and pointed the other at Oriane. A little sputter of fire exploded at the tip of that finger. The sparks almost singed her nose.

Charlotte, on the other hand, sat behind her and affectionately rubbed her back.

"Let it go for now," said she. Her tone suggested that she wasn't happy but didn't want them to argue over it.

"No. I want to know what happened right now!" Marian insisted. Turning to Charlotte, she added, "And don't tell me you're not interested. You're the one who dropped everything when you heard Anna's in the infirmary to go see her."

Oriane turned around. Face to face with Charlotte. Her eyes widened, then softened, emotionally touched by the friendship she had garnered in such a short period. It wasn't only Charlotte, Oriane also recognised the worry etched on Marian's face.

The first thing she did as soon as she was let out by Doctor Finnell was visit Charlotte and Marian's shared dormitory. As of this moment, both were still in their pyjamas. Marian didn't even have her spectacles on. Meanwhile, Oriane had already been given a change of clothes. At six thirty in the morning, they were all crowded together in the living/lounge area.

It was time to tell them what had happened. This went against Carolina's advice but she didn't want to withhold anything from them. Besides, the more people who knew about it, the more help she could get, right? Especially if that master of the Rosicrucians made good on his word. Thinking back on it all, she admitted how reckless she was.

And so, she retold her tale to her companions quickly, who were both shocked and shaken after knowing what had unfolded right under everyone's noses. Disbelief was clear on their expressions. She wasn't sure what it was that they were more stunned over: was it the fact that she, the generally quiet and reserved one, had willingly tangled herself in the heat of some drama? Or was it that there was a full-blown conspiracy proceeding right as they spoke?

Oriane supposed it was a bit of both.

To her surprise, Marian suddenly laughed. A sound that whooped, echoing in the quietness of the room. "I didn't think you had it in you, Anna."

Charlotte gasped. "Don't encourage her, Marian."

"I don't need to encourage her," Marian replied. "She's doing a perfect job as is." T0 Oriane, she said with a chuckle, "I can't believe you sneaked off like that and got into that much trouble on your own."

Oriane frowned at Marian's casualness. "Remember, you can't tell anyone I told you."

Marian shrugged and waved her off. "Even if we said anything, no one would believe us. Trust me, this is not something I'm taking lightly. You said the leader of that underground group declared you're going to work for him?"

Nod.

"And Mister McMurphy, who is really an Enforcer, won't help keep you safe?"

Nod.

"And you're really the only person who knows where they meet?"

Nod.

With a sigh, Marian fingered the golden pentagram pendant and measured her words, "That means you can't get rid of this problem for a while. We, now, actually. Since you told us about this, which is one of the smartest things you could've done." She paced around the room. "Think about it. Your affinity is nowhere to be seen. You have no way to defend yourself. From here on, we'll do the protecting. All you have to do is stick with us."