29. Distractions

Deva did the best she could to avoid Darius because she knew anywhere he was Red would be too, and she just couldn't take looking at her. Everything about the Red poodle made Deva's skin crawl, but of course we can't always get what we want. So when Deva walked into the kitchen she instantly regretted not checking before going in.

Red was sitting in the high chair with Darius right next to her. He was smiling, but not fully. Red was leaning over ushering the spoon full of some kind of food towards Darius' mouth. Deva wanted to barf at the sight of it.

"Wow Darius I didn't know your hands weren't working."

Red scrunched up her face at the sound of Deva's voice, giving Deva a satisfied smirk. "What are you going on about?" Red asked in an irritated voice while Darius tried to compose himself.

"Are you practicing on Darius until the baby actually comes?" Deva opened the fridge and grabbed the bottle of grape juice.

"No," Red scowled. "You're just jealous."

Was that all she could come up with? Deva slammed the fridge door and stared at the poodle like she was the stupidest thing on the planet because, in her eyes, she was.

Darius looked really uncomfortable, and Deva knew she wasn't making the situation any better, but she couldn't help it.

"Shouldn't you have your head over a toilet puking out your guts right now?" Deva asked referring to her morning sickness.

"I feel fine actually. Thanks for your concern." She turned to Darius giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Darius has been taking good care of me."

Deva took a small sip of her juice and mumbled, "I'm sure he has."

Darius quickly stood from his chair and walked over next to Deva. "We're needed in the throne room. There are a few ongoing trials that need to be taken care of."

"Right," Deva had completely forgotten about the trials.

In order for the remaining girls to get a feel of the kingdom and how it works, the King decided they should spend the afternoon in the throne room hearing out requests from the people or deciding punishments for crimes committed.

Deva walked to the door not sparing another glance towards Red and not caring if Darius did. In the hall, she felt the warmth from Darius' body walking beside her and it sparked old memories.

"I'm guessing all is good in paradise?" Deva asked not really wanting an answer. She didn't want them to be in paradise.

"It's going."

She noticed his hesitant reply, but didn't push it because they were now entering the throne room. The King and Queen sat tall and straight in the massive gold throne chairs. The throne room was half the size of the ballroom with marble pillars surrounding the sides. Vampires were already gathered around the sides of the room awaiting their turn or just there to witness. Three elegant chairs were set to the side for Deva, Julia, and Evie to sit on while the trials were being handled.

They watched as vampires came to give their requests. Since the King and Queen were soon leaving the throne, the princes were left with the decisions of the people. The three princes stood tall and broad with hard faces as they listened to each pleading vampire and human. The brothers took turns giving their answer and when a simple request came through they would ask the girls their opinion.

The evening went good enough, and soon it was time for the committed crimes. It was vampire after vampire pleading for their lives after stealing, cheating, or killing. The princes were strict and firm with their answers showing a merciless side that the girls had never seen before. The last trial was for two brothers. They approached the court and knelt down on the steps, respectively.