15. Nothing's Ever Fair

Deva rose the next day with an incredible headache. Thoughts of her crazy night filled her head, and she realized she was still wearing the same clothes. She pushed back the covers and forced herself to shower and wash away at the nasty evidence of the night. Throwing on a pair of jeans and plaid shirt, she made her way towards her favorite part of the castle, the kitchen. Chef was already making food.

He smiled and laughed in his Italian way. "Bella you look like a dying pussycat."

"I feel like one too," she said sitting on the stool closest to him. He sat a plate in front of her that was filled with pancakes and gorged in syrup.

"Grazie." It only took her a few minutes to finish the whole plate, and when she was, chef handed her some pills. She took them and instantly felt a pain. She groaned.

"Is this the part where you vow never to drink again?"

"No," she replied washing down the pills with water. "The key is to always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

His jolly laugh filled the room. "Are you sure you're not Italian?"

"I might be." She slipped off the stool and fixed her appearance.

"Going somewhere?"

"I have some smooching to do." She wanted to thank Darius for checking up on her again and getting her safely into bed. His door was closed, but she didn't bother to knock. Walking in, she came face to face with a shirtless Darius. Her eyes shamelessly shot to his bare chest. His perfect defined abs were more tempting than she remembered. But she didn't look away or show any shame in admiring his physique openly.

"You know there's a door there for a reason," he playfully said interrupting her thoughts.

"Yes, but then I would have missed the chance to catch you half naked. Yeah, nope. I'm very satisfied with my entrance."

Using his speed, he stood in front of her in a flash. "I can think of a better way of satisfying you that involves my bed."

She swallowed with nervousness. "I think I'll pass," she walked around him to put some distance between their bodies. "Who knows what kind of skanks with STDs you have put there."

"Actually I don't bring any girls to my room. This is my private domain. But I am curious sweetheart, how did you find my room? Not that I'm complaining in any way."

Deva was brushing her fingers over the books on his shelves when she replied, "Jeffery gave me a tour of the castle my second day here. I know a few places."

"Aww and you specifically remembered my room."

She turned to him with a sweet grin. "I also know where Marcus and Lucian sleep." That seemed to stop him from smirking. "I came here to thank you for helping me last night. I know I wasn't exactly sober; so thank you for helping get me to bed safely."

"Anything for you sweetheart." He strutted across the room to his bed and pulled on a blue shirt. "You know sweetheart if being drunk puts your life at danger perhaps you should stop drinking."

"Hey I stop drinking......when I'm sleeping."

He chuckled. "Spoken like a true alcoholic."

"I'm not an alcoholic." She knew he only meant it as a joke but she couldn't help but yell back at him for that comment.

He quickly rushed to her side placing his hands on her shoulders. His eyes looked guilty and sorry. "I know you're not. I didn't mean that."

With her jaw clenched, she dropped her gaze to his black shoes.