You Can't Lock Someone Up When They Have Magic

"Hela, what exactly were you hoping to gain in all this?"

Hela sat on her bed, staring at the floor. Her uncle was in a rage after her latest stunts, and since he'd just gotten back from his home and found out, she couldn't exactly escape him. She didn't look up, nor did she answer, knowing it was best to just stay quiet.

"You've stolen a gun," Thor growled, pacing in anger.

"Borrowed," the girl corrected, really before she even thought about it.

Thor shot her a glare and she went silent again. "You set off bombs and painted everyone green, Stark is still trying to get the paint off his suit." Hela had to resist the urge to snicker. She hadn't meant to get it on the Iron Man suit, it was just a happy coincidence.

"Just last week you nearly destroyed the place when you snuck inside the lab and took Bruce's equipment." That had been an accident. She just wanted to see how everything worked.

"Why? I don't understand."

Hela shrugged slightly and stole a glance up at her uncle. She found herself wondering who she looked like in the family, because she looked nothing like her uncle. She had black hair and his was blonde. She had green eyes and his were blue. Her features were sharper than his, her face paler. Hela didn't know her parents, she'd asked her uncle about them once, but he'd only said it was best not to dwell on either of them. Nothing more.

"I was just playing," she mumbled, her eyes cast downward. Honestly. she'd never meant any harm. It had just happened that way.

"Hela, there's a line between playing and destruction," he said, sighing.

The child stayed quiet, refusing to look up. She wasn't in the mood to get that disapproving look from her uncle. Finally though, she looked up. The look in his blue eyes was different than usual. He looked lost, as though he had no idea what to do. Hela noticed stress lines on his face and he looked somewhat tired. It made her feel guilty for putting him through more.

"It was just a harmless joke, no one was injured," she whispered, still studying Thor's face. The giant man sighed and rubbed his face.

"I have to attend a meeting. You are not to leave this room, Hela, and I'm locking the door." He leaned over and kissed her forehead before walking out quickly. Hela heard the lock click and moaned before falling back on her bed.

Her uncle didn't understand that it was only a joke. Hela would never purposely harm anyone. She just liked to try new things. She liked playing these games.

Right now she wanted to get out of this room.

Hela sat up and frowned at the door. She wasn't good at picking locks, never was. A smile formed across her face as a thought came to mind. The girl stood up abruptly and walked toward the door slowly. She was clearly concentrating quite hard and sucked in a breath.

In the next second, she was standing outside of her room. "Perfect," she whispered. She was getting better at magic.

Soon enough, the child was walking down the halls to find something to eat. She made her way over to the cafeteria and slipped into the kitchen. The cooks were seemingly busy, so she quickly grabbed a muffin and slipped out.

Her uncle's words kept echoing through her mind. A difference between playing and destruction. Hela wasn't destructive. She just liked to think big. Was that so bad?

"Wasn't Uncle going to a meeting?" she asked herself, taking a bite from the pastry. A smile spread across her face. Was it an important meeting?

Soon Hela found herself in the twisting tunnels of the vents. It was one of her favorite ways to get around because there were no cameras and it was easy to spy on people. She wiggled her wa through until she found her way to the meeting room. She listened.

"This is getting ridiculous," Tony grumbled. Hela didn't even realize she was smirking at the billionaire. "The kid's getting out of control."

"I apologize for my niece, Stark, but what could you expect from her?" She heard her uncle's voice this time. She frowned. What did that mean?

"Well, a little self control would be nice," Stark replied sarcastically. Hela had to resist the urge to growl and blow her cover.

"Her father did the same things when he was young," Thor reasoned, "It's blood." This made the girl freeze. Her father? She ran the words over in her head. Her father used to do these things too?

"Well, we don't want her to be her father," Natasha said, her tone flat. Why not? What was wrong with her father? Who was her father?

"She isn't, she's just a child," Thor insisted. Why wasn't she her father? What was the big deal?

"She'll turn out just like him at this rate, though," Tony said, a touch of bitterness laced in his muffled tone. Hela felt her anger and hate rise. She gritted her teeth.

"She won't," her uncle all but shouted.

Hela flinched back at his loud tone. It could be frightening. "Now," he said, "About my proposition, would you allow it, Director?" Her eyebrows furrowed. What proposition?

"It's risky with her here, Thor. You know this?" Fury's voice was blank, but Hela could sense worry in it. She scooted closer to listen.

"I know, but I believe that she'll be fine. We'll all work to keep it that way." There was a pause before Hela heard Fury agree to whatever proposition it was.

"Fine, we'll allow him to-"

Hela felt a screw go loose and she fell from the vent and out onto the floor in front of them. Slowly she looked up to see each one. Fury had a look of uncertainty, Stark only glared, and her uuncle looked exasperated. She laughed nervously and waved.

"Hello, everyone. Having a nice meeting?"

Fury sighed and rubbed his head. "I regret this already."