Understanding And Breakfast

Hela was lying on the bed and staring at the ceiling. It was getting late and Loki hadn't come in since he caught her with his equipment. She hadn't even checked to see if the door was locked. She was sure that she'd heard the click, so she didn't bother with it.

She took it upon herself to find patterns of paint of the ceiling. She could see a red buffalo walking alongside a green donkey. In the left corner there was a strange mask made of blue and green paint. On one side she saw a duck with a fish in its mouth.

There was a click and the door opened. Hela closed her eyes quickly and pretended to be asleep as she heard the clanking footsteps that was Loki walking toward her. The bed sunk slightly and she felt a cold hand on her forehead.

"I know you're awake, Hela, open your eyes," he whispered. Hela's face crinkled slightly but she slowly opened her eyes. Loki was staring down at her. His face was much calmer and there was a soft look in his eyes.

He pushed her hair back from her face gently and sighed. Hela stared up at him without moving, though she was rigid. Loki let out a soft sigh. There was that look again. The one that said just how lost he was. He was a war criminal, not cut out for being the father of a seven year old. He looked clueless.

"Hela, I didn't mean to hit you," he murmured, "You know that, don't you?"

Did she know that? He sure seemed to have meant it a few hours ago. But she had nearly destroyed his room, and she'd almost shot them both. It could have been a disaster. Of course, she hadn't thought of it that way at the time.

She settled for a small nod. Loki sighed and ran a hand over his face. Then, to Hela's surprise, he layed down beside her. He folded his hands over his chest and stared at the ceiling with her.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack today, you know?" he said quietly. Hela frowned and looked over at him.

"Why would you have a heart attack over what I did?"

Loki looked at her as if she was crazy. "You're my daughter. I saw you holding that scepter while it was going off and I panicked. Hela," he turned his head to look at her, "You're all I have."

Hela turned her head and looked up at him. He was staring at her seriously. She slowly looked back up at the ceiling. She supposed he wasn't lying. Hela knew her mother was dead, she still had that nightmare. And after all he did, she doubted Loki was close to the family. He was alone.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. She meant it, too. Loki was still learning how to be a father. He was still understanding how all of this worked.

"I know," he said, "So am I."

There was a comfortable silence between them as they laid there side by side. Hela felt herself drifting off and yawned quietly. She rolled over and rested her head at his arm. She heard a chuckle from him in the distance.

"Goodnight, Hela," he whispered. She smiled.

"Goodnight."

Hela woke up from a better sleep than she'd had since Loki had taken her. She opened her eyes and sat up slowly, yawning. Loki was nowhere in sight, but she guessed the crashing of pans downstairs was him.

She threw the blankets off and climbed out of bed. Quickly, she got dressed and padded downstairs. Loki was in the kitchen, looking clueless, and reading from a cook book. Hela couldn't help but let out a laugh, giving away her hiding place.

Loki looked up and grinned some at her. "Spying?" he asked. Hela grinned shyly and walked out slowly. She walked over to him.

"Nope," she replied. "What are you doing?"

"Well, attempting to cook breakfast," he murmured, rubbing his head. It'd almost lost all of it's pink color, now only a tint of the ends were pink. He looked down at her and smiled slightly. "Want to help?"

Hela grinned and nodded her head. With a grin, Loki grabbed a chair and sat it in front of the stove for her to stand on. Hela didn't pay it any mind. She was short, what could she say?

 She climbed up on the chair and looked at him as he started getting eggs and flour out. She smiled some as she watched. He looked awkward while doing everything.

He set everything on the counter and looked at her with an amused expression. "This may take longer than I thought."

"It's burning!"

"I'm aware!"

"Turn the stove off!"

Loki dashed over to the stove and turned it off while Hela was pouring the orange juice. They were both coated in flour and pancake batter. Hela finished pouring the juice, spilling it a few times, and looked up at Loki.

The entire kitchen was a mess, and this time it wasn't just Hela's fault. Loki was just as much to blame this time. The pair had tried making pancakes, eggs, and bacon. They'd succeeded in making the breakast, but had also all but destroyed the kitchen.

"Well," he said, "After all that, this better be good." Hela grinned up at him and set the jug of orange juice down while Loki started putting food on the plates. After they'd all sat down Hela grinned and took a bite.

She thought it might have been the best breakfast she'd ever eaten.

Hello, everyone. I apologize for being gone for so long, but this "high school" has kept me quite busy. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I'll try to write more soon.