Part 9

Shade

                I woke up in bed with Sage's arms around me. Was it a dream. I tried to move my right hand to my face but it never came. I looked down at the bandaged stump and began to cry softly to myself. I knew it would happen. I was too reckless, I was a warrior. I excepted scars and bruises, not to lose an arm. But do I regret it? Not one bit. He had to die. But that didn't stop me from mourning my loss of an arm. I sat up and felt Sage's arms drop from around me. It was the middle of the night; I wasn't sure what day it was.

                I hunched over and covered my face with my left hand. My tears were falling into my one and now only hand. I then felt Sage sit up, her hands on my shoulders. I was trembling at this point. I didn't want to be a cripple. That was my good hand! I remember everything it had done to save me, but in the end I couldn't save it. "I guess I won't be able to please you that well anymore," I whispered and smiled at the joke but it didn't last long. "Shade..." she whispered into my ear kissing my neck."I don't think I can do this...I used that hand for everything," I said and she put one finger under my chin making me look at her. "You have to, for me," she said and it was a compelling argument. One I couldn't argue against. "I don't know how to do this...I...I'm a thief without a hand?" I breathed and she pulled me into her arms. I didn't feel like I could sleep, not after all this but she spoke the words and I was out like a light "Sleep now."

                I woke up in the morning and noticed Sage wasn't in bed with me, making me sit up and look around. The door opened and she walked in, blood dripping from the corner of her lips. "Come with me," she said and I stood up and walked over to her. I expected her to move to go somewhere but she didn't. That was when I noticed I was taller than her. I breathed in a sharp breath and she frowned thinking something was wrong. "I'm taller than you," I said holding back my excitement and she sighed looking me up and down. "You grew a lot," she said and I smiled and kissed her lips although there was blood on them.

                For some reason as soon as I started to kiss her, I tasted the metal in my mouth and I wanted more. Very rough all a sudden as I needed more and the next thing I know I have her pinned to the wall as I'm kissing her hard enough to bruise. She pushed me back and I tried to lean in again but again she pushed me back frowning. "Come with me," she repeated and this time turned and walked down the stairs. I followed her with a new found hunger.

                How long has it been since I last ate something? How long had I been asleep? Before I could ask, I noticed a tied up man in my living room. I felt very hungry looking at his exposed neck. "I'm...a vampire," I realized and looked at Sage. She touched my face gently pecking my lips before going to the man and making him sit up. "Wait I have a question," I said and she frowned at me. "This is probably the simplest thing?" she asked me and I shrugged. "Do fangs work like straws or are they just used to punch holes?" I asked. It had been in the back of my head for years now. Sage was scowling at me now. "Figure it out," she told and I sighed, walking over to the man. "Best sire ever," I mumbled and she shook her head at me.

                I kneeled down next to the man. Just bite the neck right? As I eyed his neck I could feel the fangs in my mouth extend. Instincts took over as I leaned forward biting into soft flesh. It was then I realized it was just a use for punching holes as they now where in the way of the blood flow. The fangs retracted on their own letting me drink the hot, bitter blood.

                I felt Sage put her hand on my shoulder telling me to stop and it was rather easy. I was not consumed with bloodlust or anything like that. As I looked back up at my lover, she was frowning at me. Did I do something wrong? "You have good control," she stated and I smiled feeling the blood drip from my lips. "I have to with you around," I told her. I received slap to the back of my head and I laughed. Then I stood and her arms wrapped around my waist as she kissed my neck. "I don't like this height difference," she mumbled into my shoulder as she could no longer reach my ear as I was standing up. "I guess I have to be the dominate one now?" I asked and she squeezed my sides making me move away. "I'll take that as a no," I said as I put my hands at my side. Only to remember I had only one.