Chapter Twelve

Heyo!

So how was Eleven? I enjoyed writing it, most definitely!

I told ya I'd be on time.

Thank you guys so much for your love! Nothing makes me happier! Enjoy!

Cosmos ~

Ps. If it looks like I'm making my update intervals too long again, PLEASE WARN ME! I want to update regularly but sometimes I just fall behind and I'd love your reminders!

x=====x=====x=====x=====x

"You're not going out there by yourself."

Hunter has a hand on my wrist before I can even push the car door open. I'm not surprised — he can probably see the anxiety coming off of my body in heat waves. Emily was kidnapped and is on top of that building; what would I be expected to do?

I push down on the handle and shove the door open with my knee. He sadly lets go of my wrist and does the same, and we're running for the building like nobody's business. It's dark and windy, like the sky's trying to match the mood of the evening; it even makes a point to blow a chunk of old office into my face.

When we get to the door Hunter kicks it down before I even have time to try the handle. We rush in, and about the middle of what seems to be a foyer he puts a hand out to stop us.

"You keep going; I'll be right behind you."

"What—?"

"Wiping the video cameras. Go!" He points to the spiral staircase, and heads for the nearest computer at one of the desks. I bolt up the spiral, adrenaline being the only thing keeping me moving right now. Without it, I would've given out ten minutes ago. The stairs don't stop; they just keep going through floors and floors and floors. My body is thrumming and my mind is everywhere and all I can focus on is running. Running to save my sister's life. Nothing else is important. Nothing else is important.

I collapse on the twelfth floor. I can't feel anything. My cheek hits the marble hard. My lungs are crying and my eyes are crying and my feet are crying and my cheek is crying and my legs are bricks and honey and I want to go roll in a hole and rot away. Where's Hunter? He should be coming. I think I hear footsteps. Maybe not. I can't tell. My ears are ringing too much.

I've got to do this for Emily.

For Emily.

I weakly push myself back up. My knees give out and I land on them sharply. I push myself up again, and this time, with a bit of effort, I stand. Then I start making my way two steps at a time, cringing with every one.

On the thirteenth floor, I fall back down.

Feet. Fast feet. Then really really heavy breaths. Heavy breaths getting louder. Louder. Grunting. My body is rising. Warm patches on my chest. Pulling. Head swinging. Pain. Lots of pain. Pain everywhere. Can't see. Can't think.

This is what I get for not doing any exercise ever.

"Garth. Garth!" Hunter has me on my feet. I force the bleariness of exhaustion and pain and possible death to leave as much as I can. He's only inches away, and his hands are keeping me on my feet. He's holding a stare. "Garth. You can rest on the roof, I promise. We've only got one minute. The stairs are right there."