Chapter Twenty Four

"Mr. Riggs."

"Yes, sir?" I respond hesitantly as the sounds of chattering students in motion is muffled by the door as he clicks it shut. Mr. Luge says nothing in response for a few seconds, instead walking to the nearest desk – keeping reasonable distance between us but still too close to the door for my liking – and planting himself on it.

"How are you managing?" He asks.

A little weirded out, I reply, "Fine, sir."

I suppose he was expecting a lengthy runoff of my progress. He hesitates a moment before continuing. "I used to work with your father, you know."

"Did you?" I try not to choke on my surprise. "Father's never mentioned you. He always updates me on who he's working with."

"Ah, he really trusts his boy, I see. But yes, before your father moved into office, we were coworkers in industry. Close. You could almost consider me your uncle."

I'd rather fucking not, I shudder. "So how did you get demoted to teacher while he got promoted to Vice President? Can't have been that close, then. Father never leaves any close friends behind."

"I wasn't demoted," he says, almost sounding hurt, "I chose to become a teacher because I wanted to. I left to pursue teaching long before Connor was elected. He —"

"Am I in trouble or not?"

A pause. Then, "no. But —"

"Okay, I'll be going then. Can't be late for next class." I shoulder my bag and take large, brisk steps to pass Mr. Luge and get out as fast as possible. But his words stop me just as I grab the door handle.

"I wanted to warn you about Matthew."

My stomach drops. My chest turns to ice. I can't move. "Who's Matthew?"

"You know exactly who he is, Mr. Riggs," Mr. Luge says, "you may have never met him but you know him quite well. Remember, your father and I are good friends, and were when he first introduced me to Matthew, even before you were born. I appreciate your precautions, but there's no need."

The silence drags out. I turn my head only slightly, not enough to see anywhere near him but to show my interest. "What about him, then? What do you mean 'warn me?'"

He sighs curtly. "He's in New York. Your father just received word."

"So what? And why are you telling me? Father would've just called me if there was an issue." This seems fake.

"I can't explain that to you right now, Mr. Riggs, but I assure you, it's quite the issue. Connor knows Matthew is here, but not by his own word. Matthew is here ... rogue."

"What?"

"He came out of hiding, against orders, and apparently is now searching for something, according to his occasional appearances around the state. They haven't tracked him down yet, but he has completely abandoned your father and is working alone, making him a very serious potential threat."

I swallow a lump. "Okay? He probably got tired of waiting and wanted to bring down the Shots."

"I suggested that to your father, but he won't listen. Mr. Riggs, I'm telling you this because I know Matthew is a good man, but your father is too afraid to reason. If Matthew is caught, he faces the death penalty for treason."

I finally spin around, mouth open in shock. "That's incredulous. Father has no grounds."

Mr. Luge's complexion is grave.