Chapter 6 - Nick

I listen to Em's voice mail at least three times before texting her back that I'll come over and help. Her voice in the message sounds amused, but also a bit disappointed. And why the hell am I analyzing her voice mail? This is ridiculous.

I haven't been to Em's and Rob's house in over a month, but I could still get there with my eyes closed. After all, I used to spend almost every evening with them, soaking in the family fun, before getting into the School of Performing Arts. I walk with my head high, nodding at the doormen I recognize like I don't have a care in the world, but I'm rehearsing what I will say to Dino—their dad—if I see him. "I'm sorry about my father" or "I had no idea he was going to fire you. I promise."

I'm so deep in thought I almost run into a gorgeous girl pushing a little boy.

"Sorry," I mutter.

And she smiles. "It's okay." She's got an accent. German, maybe? She must be a nanny—she's with two other girls, and they continue their conversation as I walk past them. They're bitching about the families they're working for.

My nanny probably did the same while I was growing up. She probably told all the other nannies how awful I was. According to the psychologist we all saw as a family, I was only trying to get attention.

Maybe I should tell those nannies that the moment will pass. Kids only try to get attention from one source for so long before they get their fix somewhere else. My chosen method is pretty healthy: no drugs, no drinking...only all eyes on me while I dance. And girls.

Girls, girls, girls.

Actually, Nanny One is pretty hot, especially with the accent. She has short light brown hair, and her big boobs are almost spilling out of her blouse.

She must feel me staring at her, because she turns around. But before I can work the charm I notice Em carrying a box into a moving truck, all by herself. The box is almost bigger than her and her face contorts under the effort. She's going to trip and hurt herself. If she hurts herself, she won't be able to dance. If she can't dance, she's going to be depressed. If she can't dance, I won't see her as often and I'll be miserable.

"Are you trying to prove something to someone?" I ask her as I relieve her of the heavy box.

She breathes heavily. "Are you trying to get it on with Katrin because Jen is out of town?"

"Katrin?" I slide the box on top of another one and turn back to her.

She points to the girls I was admiring a few seconds ago. "The nanny you were about to hit on."

"Katrin. Is she American or...?" I waggle my eyebrows.

"She's German." She raises one finger at a time as she enunciates the rest super slowly. "She's here for the summer. She loves going to Central Park and she doesn't understand why she has to work fifteen hours a day while the mom is a stay-at-home mom. Oh, and she likes girls. So, nice try."

"Did she hit on you? Oh please, tell me she did. I am getting the best girl-on-girl images in my mind. You. That girl, Katrin. A ballet studio. With all the mirrors. A kiss. Or two. Or more..."

She punches my shoulder. "You're so dumb. No, she didn't hit on me, I met her at Starbucks the other day and we started talking."

"You're talking to people now, not just hitting them?"

"And you're losing your mojo. First, Jen who escapes to France before your hot date, and then you almost hit on poor Katrin, who doesn't want anything to do with you."

She's kidding me. Me, losing my mojo? I don't think so. I stare at Em, at her long legs, her full lips, and I gently tuck a strand of her wild brown hair behind her ear, my finger slowly caressing her cheek.

She sucks in a breath and I bend down, until my lips are at her ears. "Do you want to test that theory?"

"What theory?" She doesn't move, and I'm not even sure she breathes. My entire body reacts to hers, and I can't remember what I wanted to prove. I'm under her spell.

"Hey bro!" Roberto yells from the stairs. "Thanks for coming!"

Em retreats at her brother's voice, muttering something I can't hear, but the slouch of her shoulders is a tell that she's disappointed. My hand automatically reaches for hers, wanting to comfort her, maybe even wanting to see if she'll take the risk of her brother seeing us, wanting to test myself too. It's nothing but a brief touch, a brief brush of our fingers, a brief hurricane of feelings. Our eyes lock. Hers are darker than usual, full of questions and desire.

For once I'm tempted not to move. For once, I'm tempted to check if maybe Rob changed his mind, if maybe he would give me the benefit of the doubt, or maybe he would realize his little sister is big enough to make her own decisions

"Thanks for coming!" Rob's almost by our side and Em lets go of my hand, stepping further away from me.

"Em!" I call and she turns to me. Her lips are slightly parted as if she's ready for a kiss, but instead she gives me the finger and laughs as if it was all a big joke.

Rob slaps me on the back, maybe a bit harder than necessary. He eyes me carefully. "Is everything okay?" It's funny how even though they don't share the same DNA, they do the same frown with their eyebrows when they think I'm getting myself in trouble.

"The usual," I reply. Me lusting after Em is not new, so technically it's not a lie.

"If you say so," he says slowly, raising an eyebrow. He glances between Em and me. "We've got a lot of work to do. Mom says we have to earn our dinner tonight by moving the boxes from the living room."

"Let's do this," I answer and follow him inside without looking at Em.

Roberto's my best friend. He's the one who jumped in front of me when four guys in middle school pounded on me with their fists, kicking me in the stomach and spitting on me. He's the one who helped me fight them off, telling them to "shut up" when they called me names: "fag, dick sucker, sissy." They thought I was gay because I was a dancer. When they disappeared at the corner of a street, Rob—the popular school wrestler, the guy who loved math and football, the guy who got asked to the school dance by five girls—turned to me and blurted, "I think I'm gay."

I replied, "I really like girls." And we both laughed.

We've been as close as brothers ever since.

I can't fuck that up,but I can't stop thinking about Emilia. 

Author's note:

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you're enjoying getting to know Em & Nick! I'll be publishing two new chapters every Friday and would love to hear from you, so don't hesitate to leave a comment. The full novella is already published/available on all e-retailers for only $0.99 in case you don't want to wait for the next chapter :) More information on www.elodienowodazkij.com :)