Chapter 21 - Em

A few days later, I still can't believe Nick and I are somewhat of an item. I still can't believe that I'm so much closer to finding my birth mom. I still can't believe how everything can change in the blink of an eye.

"Where are you going?" Roberto asks me as I'm about to head out.

"If I tell you the truth, are you going to lecture me or are you going to tell me to have fun and to say hi to Nick?" I cock my head to the side, watching his reaction.

He sighs but pulls me to him for a quick hug. "Have fun, say hi to Nick." He pauses. "He knows I'll kill him if he hurts you."

I roll my eyes, but my chest feels much lighter, knowing I don't have to hide from Roberto. I give him a quick kiss on the cheek. "I'm happy. And that's what counts, right?" I pause. "Plus, you said yourself that you were enjoying every second with Giovanni because he has to go back to Italy at the end of the summer. I'm sure you understand."

His smile is sad. "Yes, but both Giovanni and I would love to make it work. We're not going into it with an expiration date on our relationship."

I flinch, but then shake my head. "I'm not saying I won't cry at the end of the summer, but let me be. Let me make my own mistakes, especially when they don't feel like mistakes. At all."

He hugs me again, but this time, it's warmer, more protective. "Be careful, that's all I'm asking."

"You too," I tell him and skip out of the house, before Mom has a chance to join in the discussion. I haven't talked much with my parents ever since that day I threw Claire Carter in their faces. I'm still hoping they'll come around.

I know they'll come around.

But for now, my heart hammers in my chest as I hurry to the School of Performing Arts, where I have a date with Nick.

***

For once, Nick's arrived before me and for once, I get to watch him as he leaps in the air, as his muscular torso bends to the side, as he moves in such a way that my entire body flames up. He's not only hot, he's super sexy. He's mesmerizing. He's looking at me.

I clear my throat. "Nice moves," and I think my face gets even redder.

His laugh is happy and warm and does things to me I can't explain. The way he looks at me like I'm everything to him, the way he strides my way, still not wearing a shirt.

He leans in and his mouth meets mine for a kiss that's both sweet and explosive, a kiss that leaves me breathless.

His arms wrap around my waist and he pulls me off the ground like it's nothing. "Are you ready to spin?" He chuckles. He used to make me spin when we were younger, make me fly in the air until I begged him to stop. But not this time. I press my lips to his again. "I'm ready whenever you are."

And I laugh as he turns and turns and turns, until we're both begging for mercy. He gently drops me back on the floor and leans against the wall. "Let's dance but let's not rehearse," he says.

"What do you want to dance?"

"I just want to feel you," he replies and takes my hand in his. The music playing is a piece by Mozart. It's fast but Nick's going slow; he settles his body against mine and he starts waltzing. I smile, because I remember him saying one time to whatever girl he was with that he loves dancing, but that she'd never get him to waltz for no reason.

And with the way he's smiling, I know he remembers too. I know he's giving me something special without saying it. And I close my eyes, let myself fall into the music and into the movement.

With him.

Author's note:

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you're enjoying getting to know Em & Nick! I'll be publishing two new chapters every Friday and would love to hear from you, so don't hesitate to leave a comment. The full novella is already published/available on all e-retailers for only $0.99 in case you don't want to wait for the next chapter :) More information on www.elodienowodazkij.com :)