Chapter 26 - Nick

I spend several hours with Emilia on the phone. She tells me about the lies, she tells me how she doubts the whole truth came out, she tells me her dad claims he doesn't know where Claire Carter is. She tells me she's not even sure she wants to meet the woman who tried to sell her to the highest bidder.

I continue talking to her, until her words start to slur, until she tells me she's sleepy, until she falls asleep on the phone. My ear is hot from my cell and my body hurts from the position I was in, but I don't fall asleep.

I wait for my father to get home. And he does, at two thirty in the morning.

I sit by his bedroom door and he jumps when he sees me. "What are you doing here?"

I pull out the birth certificate from Em's adoption's file. "We found this."

Dad sits down next to me and I'm pretty sure my mouth has never gaped that wide open. "I knew one day or another you'd find it. I'm surprised you didn't earlier. Sarina called me to let me know you got into the office with Emilia." He pauses. "And, is she happier now than she was before?"

"At least she knows that Claire Carter is her mother."

"Oh, that's what she knows. Interesting." He cracks his knuckles, which in his business suit looks almost ridiculous.

"Where does Claire Carter live?"

"Didn't Dino tell her?"

"He said he has no contact with her," I reply.

"Again, interesting." My father sighs. "I'll help you."

I shake my head, knowing that my father never offers help for free. "And what do I need to do?"

"You need to cool things down with Emilia. And I'm saying that for her sake too. Once you go see Claire Carter, you can be there for her, but as a friend. Otherwise you're going to end up hurting her." He pauses. "Is that what you want? To hurt her even more than she's hurting now?"

"I won't hurt her."

"You will, by going out with Jennifer. As you promised me. And..." He raises a finger to my face. "And...if you forgot this promise, you're going to remember it fast. I'll give you Claire's address today if you promise to go out with Jen, to help me land that business deal by showing everyone how charming you are." He pauses again. "You need to realize, son, that you cannot do all that you please. If I had done that, I'd never be where I am today."

I turn my head to him. He looks tired, worn out and bitter. Is that who I want to be? But then I remember Em's tears, her desire to meet her real mom, and I remember the time and dedication I need to make it as a professional dancer.

I remember my rules. And even though it feels like I'm punching myself in the stomach, I say, "Give me Claire's address."

My father doesn't look like he won an argument; he looks sad as he replies, "You're doing the right thing."

Author's note:

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you're enjoying getting to know Em & Nick! I'll be publishing two new chapters every Friday and would love to hear from you, so don't hesitate to leave a comment. The full novella is already published/available on all e-retailers for only $0.99 in case you don't want to wait for the next chapter :) More information on www.elodienowodazkij.com :)