Chapter 23 - Em

The drive back from the spa was more silent, less festive and when Nick dropped me off at Nonna's, I kissed him with as much tenderness as I could. I wanted him to come eat dinner with us tonight, but he wants to go home. He's tired. And I think he's more worried about his parents' marriage than he's letting on.

I push Nonna's restaurant door open.

"Emilia! Belissima, this dress is beautiful! You look so happy." Nonna hugs me and I relish in her embrace—it's so much warmer than the hug Nick got from his mom. Once more, I realize how lucky I am. She winks. "Does that smile have to do with the amount of time you're spending with Nicholas?"

"Nonna," I say and then kiss her cheek. "How is it going with Mr. Edwards?"

"A lady never kisses and tells," she replies, laughing, and I follow her in the kitchen.

"What's for dinner tonight?"

"Pasta Bolognese. Come on, everyone's already here."

And I step inside the restaurant. I wave to the regulars and stroll between customers to sit at our table.

"Hi," I say.

"Em, I want you to meet Giovanni," Roberto says, and a tall boy who has one of the warmest smiles I've ever seen stands up.

"Very nice to meet you," he says and his accent is as warm as his smile.

I sit down between Mom and Giovanni. Mom squeezes my hand. "I'm sorry we're hitting a rough patch. But I meant what I told you, darling. I will help you as much as I can. We're not lying to you."

Maybe you're not, I think, but don't say anything.

Instead, I look at the people gathering around the table and smile. Because, right now, as confused as I am, I'm grateful they're my family.

Three days later, I meet Nick after his internship. The temperatures are still soaring, but when he gives me a quick hug, I don't want it to end.

We start strolling in no particular direction. "Let's go to Central Park," Nick suggests and his arm brushes against mine. Our eyes meet and we both smile. It's funny how we've danced and kissed and kissed and kissed, but a simple touch still makes me breathless.

We don't hold hands in public. Especially so close to where people might see us. And even though I've been trying to pretend I don't care, my chest constricts. I stare at my feet for a second.

"Everything okay?" he asks.

"Fine," I lie, thinking about what Roberto told me the other day, how he and Giovanni don't have an expiration date on their relationship, how they looked so happy and in love yesterday. Our relationship is doomed in a few short weeks.

Nick bumps his hip to mine. "Do you want an ice cream? Come on, Em, you love Grom's pistachio ice cream. We could go to their shop by Colombus Circle." His hand touches my back briefly and I want to lean into him, I want to feel his arm around me.

"Ice cream, it is." I shake my head from all unwanted thoughts.

If only ourrelationship was as easy as a lick of ice cream. 

Author's note:

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you're enjoying getting to know Em & Nick! I'll be publishing two new chapters every Friday and would love to hear from you, so don't hesitate to leave a comment. The full novella is already published/available on all e-retailers for only $0.99 in case you don't want to wait for the next chapter :) More information on www.elodienowodazkij.com :)