Chapter 24 - Nick

After sitting under a tree in Central Park, I get a text from Dad that he will be leaving for a meeting late afternoon, so he won't be home for dinner. Not like I usually expect him to be home for dinner. Not that we had dinner together in the past months. But whatever. That might be his way of trying to reconnect, but it's really the perfect opportunity to check his office more thoroughly.

We walk in front of his office, and the door's wide open. He's sorting through a bunch of papers. "Good afternoon, Emilia," he says and she startles.

"Good afternoon, sir." She never called my father by his first name. And I guess she's not about to start now. The way her hands are curled up into fists by her side and the way she's pursing her lips are clear signs that she's pissed, but trying to contain her anger.

My father clears his throat. "I understand you went with my son to visit my wife. She was happy to see you. She was happy to see him. Thank you for doing that."

Em turns to me for a second with eyes so wide I wonder if she's seeing things I can't. Then, she looks at my father, her eyes narrowing like she's trying to figure him out. "I think it was important for Nick."

My father tilts his head to the side. "Indeed you're right. And I should have been there."

Say what? What is going on?

Em nods and even though her shoulders have relaxed, her posture is still tense. She squeezes my hand. "Yes, you should have. Have a good day, sir."

"Emilia?" my dad calls again. "Your parents did a great job raising you. Never forget that."

"Thank you, and I never will."

"Don't stay up too late, kids. We don't want a repeat from the Fourth of July," Dad says and I think he's almost smiling.

We hurry up the stairs into my room, and I turn to Em. "That was hot. You telling my dad exactly how it is took some guts. And man you're sexy when you're angry."

She smiles and I put my arms around her, her back against the door. "I want to kiss you so badly right now."

"So, why don't you?" She licks her lips.

"Because if I kiss you right now, in my bedroom..."

"Pssh...don't overthink this," she says and pulls me to her. Our lips collide and our tongues dance together. Her hand trails down my back and sneaks underneath my shirt.

I slow the kiss down, enjoying the way she tastes, the way she touches me. My own hands caress her, and I want to feel her closer. I want to feel all of her. I force myself to stop kissing her for a second. "You're killing me," I say and she smiles again—this time her smile is more shy, less self-assured, and I kiss her again to show her how much I want this, how much I want her.

Both of my hands cup her face and I deepen the kiss until she moans.

And then, I tug her, walking backwards until my calves hit my bedframe. She falls on top of me and if I don't stop or think about something gross right now—my parents having sex, ewww—I will explode here and there. It's not my first time, far from it, but it almost feels like it.

She peppers kisses on my neck. She's breathing hard and her hand tentatively goes further down and down and down. And I'm going to combust.

I turn so that I'm now on top of her, holding my weight on my forearms. Her face is flushed, her mouth is half open.

"We can continue—please tell me you want to continue," I say and I watch her reaction, I don't want to push her. She's staring at me like she wants me but then, she glances away and I can see the doubt in the way she bites her lip. I force my voice to not sound too disappointed as I tell her, "Or we can play video games until he leaves."

She sighs. "Video games." She sounds disappointed, but she's definitely not as disappointed as me. But then I remember. Do not take it too far.

Except, as we settle on the floor and she cuddles up to me and we both start hiding from zombies in the game we haven't played in forever, laughing at the way some of them are super walkers, laughing at some of the designs, talking about the TV shows we wished we had time to watch, I know, it's too late.

I'm already way toointo her. We've gone too far. 

Author's note:

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you're enjoying getting to know Em & Nick! I'll be publishing two new chapters every Friday and would love to hear from you, so don't hesitate to leave a comment. The full novella is already published/available on all e-retailers for only $0.99 in case you don't want to wait for the next chapter :) More information on www.elodienowodazkij.com :)