I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Five

Song for this chapter: “Teenage Dream” by Katy Perry

               I wandered away from the group and headed towards the beach shore. My head was spinning from the bottle I had chugged down earlier. My vision was blurring, and I felt light as a feather. I grinned to myself, stupidly. I bounced along the shoreline of the sandy beach. I felt the chilling cold water hit against my feet, and I shivered, backing up a few feet away from the water.

                “Hey, why’d you leave?”

                I turned my head around and saw two people. My eyes widened when I realized that both of the people were Jace. I tilted my head to the side and giggled uncontrollably.

               “You have a twin?” I slurred, stumbling forward a few steps. I nearly fell flat on the floor, but Jace’s arms grabbed me before I could do a complete face-plant.  

                  When I looked up I gave him a cheeky grin. The sides of his lips turned downward into a frown. I checked to the left and right, trying to find where his twin was, but I he was nowhere in sight. Why didn’t he want to meet me?

                 “Where...did he go?” I asked, looking back up into his eyes. His eyes were a beautiful brown color; they were like the color of milk chocolate.

                 “I don’t have a twin. You’re seeing things cause of the beer.” A grin slipped onto his lips this time. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with such a low tolerance before.”

                 I pushed myself up from Jace and tried to stand upward without toppling over. The task was proving harder than it sounded. The freezing water lapped against my ankles, causing me to shiver. The coldness of the water seemed to sober me up a tiny bit, but not much at all.

                “So, what brings you out on such a lovely day?” I inquired in a sing-song voice. I twirled in a circle, letting my arms spread out and slice through the cool fall air before nearly falling over again.

                A chuckle left Jace’s lips, and I paused to look at him. “It’s nighttime, Lyn.”

               “Hmm?” I paused to stare up into the sky. The cloudless night exposed beautiful twinkling stars that shined down on us. “Oh.”

               “You’re cute, Lyn.”

               Despite my muggy mind, I blushed. I still wasn’t used to the feeling of being complimented out of the blue. “Thanks, you’re cute too.”

                I grinned, not sure why I wasn’t embarrassed to say that, like I normally would. A small smile appeared on his lips, and his used one of his hands to twirl a lock of his dark brown curl around his fingers.

                “Why thank you, Lyn.”

                I returned the smile and used my right hand to grab one of his. I slipped my hand in his and pulled him me. We walked along the beach shore hand in hand, and I felt the breeze caress my hair and face as we came to the end of the cove. I didn’t want to go back just yet, I didn’t want to go back and probably get hazed even more by Taylor. So, instead I plopped my bottom on the sandy floor. I yanked lightly on Jace’s hand that was still around mine, urging him to sit with me. He sat down next to me and stretched his long legs out in front of him, the small waves barely touching the bottom of his flip-flops.