I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Fourteen

Song for this chapter: “1, 2, 3, 4” by Plain White T’s

                I closed and locked my maroon locker before heading towards the front door. It was finally Friday. For the past three days, since I went to the mall with Jace, Taylor, and Stacy, David had been trying to talk to me a lot more than he usually did. And it was becoming harder and harder to avoid him. Just when I thought I’d lose him, he’d spring up from nowhere. It was like a never-ending game of hide-and-seek.

               And I was losing.

               “Lyn, hey Lyn! Guess what? You’re invited!” A cheery redhead yelled down the hall.

               I turned to see Penny practically skipping down the hallway, somehow dodging the other students who were staring at her like she was an alien from another galaxy. She didn’t seem to mind though.

               “I’m invited?” I repeated, when she was within earshot, a tentative smile reaching my lips as I glanced up at Penny.

               “Yep, it’s my seventeenth birthday’s tomorrow, and you’re invited!” She exclaimed happily, handing me a light pink envelope.

               “Oh, um thanks.” I nodded; surprised that she was actually inviting me. I hadn’t known Penny for very long, but so far she was the closest candidate I had to being a best friend.

               “What’s wrong? You don’t want to go?” She inquired, probably noticing the small strain in my voice.

               “Well, it’s just…” I trailed off, not sure how to continue. “The last time I went to a high school party, I had to sneak out of my house. And I practically got drunk, sprained my ankle, ran away from the law, and had to spend the night at David’s apartment. I think that’s a huge, blinking sign telling me I shouldn’t go to any of them anymore.”

               “Wow that does sound bad… But this time could be different, you know? It could be first time’s bad luck. Every heard of the saying first the worst, second the best?” She replied optimistically.

               “Yeah, when we were in elementary school, lining up.” I frowned, not really seeing the link between then and now.

               “I was hoping the kids in your school didn’t do that too.” She grinned sheepishly at me, “but I promise this time’s going to be better Lyn! And my house is like four blocks down from yours.”

               “It is?”

               “Yes! So sneaking out won’t be a problem right?”

               “Well,” I winced, feeling bad that I’d have to crush her excited grin. “It’s not that simple. Last time it was easier to sneak out because my parents were out on a date, and they only do that like once a month.”

               “Aww,” she frowned, clearly thinking of a way to get around my parents, “I’ve got it!”

               “Got what?” Another voice chirped in.

               Turning my head to the side, I noticed Cam stride up to us, slinging an arm around Penny’s shoulder. Penny smiled up at her boyfriend, and for a moment, I thought I saw her eyes twinkle.

               “I got a way for Lyn to sneak out of the house on Saturday.” Penny continued, her eye darting back to me.

               “You do? How?” I inquired, curiously.