I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Sixteen

Song for this chapter: “Tonight” by Enrique Iglesias ft. Ludacris

               The rhythmic music pounded loudly in my ears, making it almost impossible to hear even the closest person next to me. The music could probably be heard outside clearly. I found it surprising that no one had called the cops yet. While hundreds of teens danced wildly to the hammering music, I was sitting on top of the staircase with Austin, Penny’s older cousin, and so far, I really enjoyed his company.

               I sort of ”used” him to just avoid looking like a loner, at first, but we were actually finding plenty of things to talk about, and his dazzling smile was definitely a plus.

               I heard Austin mutter something, but I couldn’t quite make it out. “Did you say something?” I inquired loudly, looking over my shoulder at Austin.

               “Yeah, I asked if you want to dance.” Austin had to raise his voice over the music, and I could still barely make out his words.

               I shook my head to the side, subtly and said, “Umm, I don’t like dancing. It just isn’t one of my things.”

               “What? I can’t hear you, Carrot. Speak up!”

               When he used my old nickname a blush managed to make its way to my cheeks. “Don’t call me that! If anyone else hears, they’re going to start calling me it too!”

               “I like it though! It sounds cute.” Austin smirked, only making my blush turn deeper. “I think I can make a song for you using Carrot.” he teased, a shallow dimple forming in his right cheek.

                “No you shouldn’t do th—“

               “Carrot, carrot! I like to eat carrots, but not you cause you aren’t actually a vegetable. But I like you too!” Austin sang in an off-tune voice, and I had a difficult time trying not to cringe.

               I laughed, while my cheeks continued to flame. “I think you had too much to drink.”

               “Nah, I haven’t even had anything to drink yet. This is me when I’m sober. I’m even worse when I’m drunk.” he said, hooking a thumb towards his face.

               “I hope you don’t get drunk around me. I don’t think I’ll be able to contain you.” I said truthfully, taking a second to scan the crowds.

               “Don’t worry! I don’t plan on drinking tonight.”

                “Good,” I mumbled, pulling my gaze back to his.

                “C’mon,” he suddenly said, his hand wrapping around my wrist. “Let’s go.”

               “Go where?” I slipped down a couple of stairs at the sudden movement.

               “Dancing,” he stated in a “duh” tone.

               “I said I don’t want to dance!”

               “You did?” he paused to turn and inspect me. “Oh well.”

               I frowned. “No, not ‘oh well’. I said I don’t want to dance.”

               Austin began pulling me down the stairs, but since I wasn’t standing on my feet, he was more like dragging me on my butt. I could only imagine what this scene looked like from another person’s eyes.