I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Thirteen- Part One

I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Thirteen-Part One

Song for this chapter: “Read My Mind” by The Killers

               For the past three days, I did as Taylor threatened, and avoided David every chance I got. I also avoided Taylor as much as possible, although I didn’t have to. I just really wanted to.

               However, trying to stay away from David proved to be a lot more difficult than I thought. Although we only had one class together, which was Math, David seemed to be around every corner. I didn’t realize that we saw each other that many times during the day, until now.

                “I’m home.” I quietly announced, shutting the door behind me, as my whole body entered the almost vacant house.

               My brother, who was sitting on the couch, watching some kind of TV show, popped up from his seat and scurried towards me. “Hey, do you need anything?” He asked, as he pulled my backpack off my shoulders, tossing it over his own.

               I shrugged indifferently, nothing coming to mind. “No, I think I’m good. I’m just really tired.” I admitted, blinking lazily.

               “Alright, do you need help to your room? Should I get an ice-pack?” He inquired, worry etched all over his face.

               “Landon,” I sighed,” I’m not crippled. Stop acting like I’m going to break if I do anything on my own. Besides, my ankle’s not as swollen anymore. I’ll be able to take this thing off next week.”

               “Sorry,” my older brother apologized. “I just feel like this whole thing is my fault.”

               “How’s it your fault? If it’s anybody’s fault, it’s mine. I was the one stupid enough to go to the dumb party in the first place. Seriously Landon, don’t worry.” I smiled, encouragingly, patting him on the back.

               He opened his mouth, probably about to counter my words, but closed it just as quickly. Eventually, he nodded glumly. I could tell he still didn’t agree with me.

               Instead of trying to convince him otherwise, I continued down the hall to my bedroom. Once inside, I shut the door and hobbled to my bed, letting my body collapse on the fluffy, comfortable covers. I could feel my eyes shut almost instantly; too bad my mind didn’t agree with my body.

               My thoughts traveled to the event that occurred today at school. The feeling of anxiety still lingered from when Taylor threatened me. I guess, I should be starting to get used to her attitude, but I couldn’t. Maybe it was because I believed there was a very microscopic piece of kindness in Taylor’s heart. I mean could anyone seriously be that…mean?

               Knowing my answer, I sighed. Of course she’s that mean. She’s always been that way. She is after all Taylor.

               Involuntarily, I felt my heart rate quicken as an image of a handsome face popped into mind. That face belonged to none other than David. I opened my eyes, shaking my head rapidly. Why was I reacting to him like this? I shouldn’t be. I really, really should not be.

               Ten minutes passed, as I tried to confirm my feelings for David, finally settling on a friendship status. That has to be the reason why I’m starting to enjoy his presence. After all that thinking, I finally succumbed to weariness that had begun fighting over my rational thinking and slept.