I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Ten

Song for this chapter: “Invincible” by Hedley

               The vibrations of from a dull buzz woke me up from my deep sleep. Groaning, I turned on my side and shoved my hand into my right pocket, fishing for my cell phone. I pulled the old, scratched phone from my pocket and flipped it open, pressing the speaker to my ear.

               “Hello?” I spoke into the phone, still half-asleep. My voice sounded dry and scratchy, hardly recognizable.

               There was no reply. Frowning, I pulled the cell away from my ear to look at the bright screen. I squinted, letting my eyes adjust to the bright light before I could actually read what was on the phone. Once they adjusted to the light, I realized I had gotten a text, not a call.

               It was from Landon, my brother.

               A new sense of fear welled up within me, as I pressed a button, letting me read the message itself. My eyes hovered the slang words that Landon texted to me.

               From Landon: Lyn where the hell r u?

               As I read the words, any drowsiness that I had only a few seconds ago vanished instantly. I hoped he didn’t tell Mom or Dad that I wasn’t home. If he did, I’d be in huge trouble. I quickly replied back to my brother with shaky hands.

               To Landon: I’m at a friend’s house. Please don’t tell Mom and Dad. I’ll be home soon. Promise.

               I clicked the green send button on my phone, and stuffed it in my pocket, waiting for a reply from my brother. I tumbled off the bed and stood up, but immediately fell back to the floor when a feeling of electricity shot through my swollen ankle.

               “Oh, shoot!” I groaned, grabbing my ankle.

               Muttering a few incoherent words under my breath, I managed pulled myself up on one foot. I settled on sitting on the bed, rather than attempting to walk. Another buzz came from my phone, sending the vibrations through my thigh. I pulled the phone out of my pocket again, and flipped it open, scanning through the message just as soon as I opened it.

                From Landon: U r so lucky I woke up early 2day. U better explain this when u get home

                I didn’t realize I had been holding my breath until a relaxed sigh left my tightly shut lips. Landon was definitely one of the best brothers of all time. I managed to fix one problem, but new ones blossomed in its replacement. I needed to get home, but I couldn’t do that alone. I’d have to wake up David.

                Yet another problem presented itself to me. How was I supposed to wake up David when he’s in the living room? Groaning, I lowered myself onto the floor, my tummy facing the carpet. I then began crawling to the living room, where he was. I dug my nails into the carpeting, pulling out tiny strands from it as I continued on my way. I made sure my right foot never touched the ground by lifting it up about an inch into the air.

               It took me about three minutes to get to the living room, where a silent, sleeping David was. His arm hung limply over the side of the couch, while his other one was tucked under his head. David’s chest moved up and down in a slow, constant rhythm. I shifted into a sitting position in front of his couch, examining the sleeping teenage boy.

               His dark brown hair stuck out in random places, and surprisingly it didn’t look bad on him; in fact, it only added to his already handsome looks. I liked this David more. This David couldn’t speak obnoxiously and rudely. This David couldn’t tease me with his annoyingly attractive smirk. This David was peaceful and could almost be considered almost cute. My face instantly heated up as soon as my own thoughts registered into my mind.