I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Nine

Song for this chapter: "One and Only" by Adele

               The absent feeling of the smooth car movements beneath me aroused me from my light sleep. I had fallen asleep on the way back from the rise home, due to the lack of conversation between David and me. He hadn’t said a word since we got on the freeway, and I didn’t blame him. I was exhausted, worn-out, and a little passed the stage of cranky. I figured the reason why he wasn’t talking to me was because I told him that I didn’t want to go to the hospital, but he was definitely taking rejection way too seriously.

               I glanced outside the window, trying to recognize the familiarity of my own neighborhood, but for some reason I couldn’t. Then I realized why. I wasn’t in my neighborhood. I was in a completely different place. Instead of seeing large, two-story houses, occupying the sides of the streets, I was greeted by multiple apartment complexes. They all ranged from different sizes, to different colors, and to different models. I had no inkling of where we were, but I knew David had an answer.

               Shifting upright a little, without moving my right foot, I turned to David. “Where are we?” I demanded.

               “Home,” was his short, simple reply to my question.

               “Home?” I echoed, puzzled.”This isn’t my house. This isn’t even my neighborhood.”

               “I never said this was your home.” He paused, shooting a smirk at me. “It’s mine.”

               “What? Why are we at your house? I told you to take me to my house.”I sighed, slamming the back of my head against the headrest in annoyance.

               “You never said that I had to take you to your house. You just said take me home, and I did what you so rudely demanded. I took you home, just to mine.” He responded slyly.

               “You are such a word-twisting, annoying, arrogant, egotistical jerk!” I yelled, stomping my feet against the floor of his car, immediately regretting it just as I did it. My right ankle screamed in protest of my actions, causing a coursing pain to shoot through my body. “Ow! Ow, shoot. Stupid foot. Stupid car. Stupid, stupid jerk!”

               I could feel my mood blacken with each second that ticked by. After shooting a glare at David, I folded my arms over my chest, in a very childishly manner, and huffed. I kept my steady gaze outside of the car, focusing on a particular tree that stood about ten feet away from me.

               “Wow,” David chuckled, a deep throaty sound. “I never knew that you were really cranky when you just wake up, but I find it kind of cute in a way.”

               His words did nothing but make me angrier. Even if he did, sort of, compliment me it didn’t affect me in the same warm feeling way it did when Jace or Cam did it.

               “Do not call me cute. I am not in the mood for stupid silly games. I want to go home—my own house— and I want to go now! Can you start your stupid car and drive me there?” I hissed, giving David the ugliest glare I could possibly muster up.

               It was quiet for a moment, both of us silently daring the other to break eye contact first. After what seemed like five minutes, I looked away first, a long, irritated noise leaving my mouth. I made my eyes drift toward the floor of the car, and stared aimlessly at my super swollen ankle.

               “Fine, I’ll take you home.” He said, breaking the tension in the car with an invisible hammer. “Under one condition,” he added, when he saw the hopeful look fill my eyes.