I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Seventeen

Song for this chapter: “Stutter” by Marianas Trench     

                    “I’m exhausted!” Penny exclaimed, collapsing on the couch before her.

                    I nodded, completely agreeing with her. The last of the party-goers had left about an hour ago, and we had been spending the rest of the time, cleaning up after them. Surprisingly, house wasn’t totally a mess, just a few bottles here and there, and some vacuuming had to be done.

                   Sitting next to Penny, I wondered where Austin had gone to. He had never returned from his trip.“Did Austin ever come back?” I voiced my question aloud, glancing down at Penny.

                   “Hmm?” Penny turned around on her back, and opened her sleepy eyes. “I think so. He gave us a few more cases, and then said something about having to go somewhere. Why?”

                   “No reason,” I said, shrugging. I was a little disappointed that he didn’t come around to say bye to me. I shook my head sideways, a little annoyed with myself. I was being really clingy lately, and I hated that.

                   “Oh,” she replied, turning over so she was facing me. “So I saw you and David talking earlier.”

                    “You did?” I said, a little surprised that she could see us. I could hardly see David, who was about a foot away from me.

                    “Yeah, aren’t you a little afraid?”

                     “Err…why?”

                     “Because aren’t you supposed to be avoiding him?”

                     I stared quizzically at Penny. “How do you know about that?”

                     She responded with an indifferent shrug. “I dunno. I just noticed you being a little jumpy around him…it has to do with Taylor right?”

                    “No,” I replied a little too quickly, and I earned a lazy smirk from Penny. “Okay,” I admitted quietly. “It does, but I don’t know why she’s so…so…” I trailed off, trying to think of the proper word.

                    “Bitchy?” She finished my sentence, raising an eyebrow.

                    I grimaced at her word choice, but quickly realized that that word fit in perfectly. “Yeah, I guess.”

                    “Hmm, well I could think of a few reasons,” Penny said, while shifting into a sitting position. “Do you wanna hear them?”

                    I shrugged. “Sure.”

                   “One is that she’s jealous of you.”

                   “Taylor…jealous of me..?” I shook my head, doubtfully. “Why would she be jealous of me? She’s prettier and tons more popular than me. If anything, I should be jealous of her.”

                  “Sure she may be a lot prettier and just about a million times more popular than you.” I frowned at Penny, and she noticed. “Don’t give me that look. I’m not finished yet!”

                  “Sorry,” I apologized, turning my gaze to the carpeted floor.

                  Penny clucked her tongue at me before continuing. “But, David seems to be finding an interest in you, and do you know how much it stings that her boyfriend is choosing a girl that is just a plain Jane? I don’t know about you, but I’d hate that.”