I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Eighteen

Song for this chapter: “Somebody that I used to know” by Gotye

          “Okay, so there's two options,” Penny held up two fingers, and I stared at her dubiously. I didn’t know where she was going with this. “You can either go to Jace’s house willingly, or, I can ‘kidnap’ you and take you there myself,” she said, doing invisible quotes around the word “kidnap”.

          I raised a brow at her, when I realized we were talking about Jace. Honestly, I was going to tell her that I didn’t have a crush on him (well at least I don’t think I do) but I just couldn’t stop her blabbering long enough to get it out. Now, it was Monday, lunchtime in particular, and I still haven’t told her. Why couldn’t I just tell her that I have a small, teensy, weensy, tiny, little feeling for David, aside from friendship? Why did I always have to make things a hundred times harder for me? I know why. It’s because I’m dumb.

          “I don’t want to go, there,” I muttered, glancing down at my mashed potatoes. I pushed my spork into the pile of white mush. “What would I even say? It’d be too weird. And what would my excuse be for even going?”

          She responded with an overdramatic sigh, “Why are you so difficult!”

          “Why are you so persistent?” I shot back, giving her a look.

          “Because Lyn, you deserve a boyfriend. I bet you’ve never had one before,” she guessed, scooting to the side, when she noticed Cam coming up from behind her.

          My cheeks suddenly got a little hotter, and I tried to push my embarrassment away. “No,” I managed to say. “I’ve had one before.” When I was in Kindergarten.

          “Really?” she eyed me suspiciously, and I kept my eyes away from hers.

          “What’s going on here?” Cam inquired, looking back and forth between Penny and me.

         “Lyn won’t go over to Jace’s house, she’s too shy,” Penny explained, blowing out a breath of frustrated air.

          Cam took the empty spot next to Penny, and pecked her on the cheek. Penny in return grinned as if she had just won the Nobel Prize.

          “I am not,” I replied, stuffing my mouth with a spoonful of mashed taters.

          Cam opened his plastic utensil package, and fished out for his spork. “Why does she have to go over to Jace’s place anyway?”

          “I don’t hav—“ I started, but was quickly interrupted by Penny.

          “Because she has a crush on him, and I’m trying to play Miss Love Doctor, but she’s a terrible patient,” she explained once again, and I lowered my head keeping my gaze steady on my blue tray.

          I wanted to open my mouth and say that I didn’t have a crush on Jace, but nothing came out. I didn’t have a good excuse for why I lied to her, and the longer I thought about that, the more I didn’t want to tell them.

          “Well, why don’t you want to see him Lyn?” Cam inquired, interrupting my rather negative thoughts.

          Biting my lower lip, I tried to think of a quick excuse. “Because…I don’t want to get sick?” I tried, and for a moment, felt proud of my answer. It was a rather smart excuse.

          Eyeing me suspiciously, Cam said. “It’s not like you’re going to kiss him or something, you know. You’ll be fine.”

          “B-but what would I say if Jace asked why I’m there?” I panicked, saying the first thing in mind.