Invisible Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Sentinel

(Olivia)

 I don’t know where Mason has been, but when he pops up near the cafeteria, I latch onto his arm and refuse to let go. “Where have you been all morning?”

“Getting to know our new friend,” Mason says.

“What?”

Mason shrugs, as if my question barely fazes him, but I can see the tension in his shoulders.

“I decided to go to class with Robin.”          

“Why?”

“Why?” Mason asks. “Because she can see me and talk to me. That’s reason enough.”

I can certainly understand the appeal, but I’m still miffed. “You could have at least told me where you were going. I turned around and you were gone.”

Mason rolls his eyes. “And interrupt your fascinating conversation with Hayden Benton?”

“Fascinating?” What on earth is he talking about? Hayden returned my pencil and asked me if I knew when our next test was.

I shake off Mason’s weirdness and say, “Look, I know you’re excited that someone other than me can see and hear you, but we know nothing about this Robin chick. What if she uses something you tell her against you?”

“What’s she going to do? Tell people you have an invisible guy living at your house? I’m sure that will go over well.”

“Would you please be serious about this for five seconds?” I snap.

Mason’s body bristles. He takes a step away from me and turns the corner. Knowing the drill, I follow him to the abandoned drinking fountains and pull out my phone. I hold it to my ear, so if anyone walks by they’ll assume I’m arguing with whoever is on the other end of the call and not that I’m totally insane, yelling at a wall.

Usually we can manage to talk without anyone else noticing, thanks to the crowds and noise. Pulling a stunt like this means if we continue this conversation, people will notice. I don’t like these kinds of conversations.

Locking eyes with Mason, I ask, “What is going on?”

For a moment, Mason doesn’t respond. He seems to be considering his words very carefully. That’s never a good sign, either.

“Robin knows stuff,” Mason says slowly.

“Like what kind of stuff?”

After a minute of shuffling, Mason responds. “Stuff like naming ceremonies, Caretakers, how good my memory is.”

“What do you mean? How much does she know?” Everything he’s saying is only making me more anxious.

“Well, she knew enough to ask me questions about my name, for starters. She knew what a big deal it was to my family, and she acted like that was totally normal.”

I can feel my nose crinkle. Evie tells me every time she sees me doing it that I’m wrecking my skin with all the scrunching and I’ll end up with wrinkles like cat whiskers. I’m not vain, or at least I don’t think I am, but that does concern me a little. I try to unwrinkle my nose and think.

“Okay, so what does that mean?” This time my forehead wrinkles. “When she called you an Aerling and acted like it was no big deal, I guess I figured that meant there are more people like you out there somewhere. How does she know this stuff?”