Invisible Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Forming Plans

(Olivia)

Walking back up to my room after a tense conversation with Mom and Dad, I find it impossible to think of anything but the repair guy turned stalker and attacker. I wholeheartedly agree with Dad instituting the buddy system for the foreseeable future. Knowing those guys are across the street spying on us twenty-four-seven makes me feel sick to my stomach.

I hate walking around scared. I want them gone, but I have no idea how to make that happen. Knowing how close they are to catching Mason might be helpful. Figuring out why they want him so bad would be even more of a bonus. Admitting I agree with Robin that they seem to have a special interest in Mason makes me want to throw something, but I fear it’s true.

Mason’s presence crowds behind me and my whole body tenses. He doesn’t say anything. There was a moment when I was bandaging his hand that my anger at him started to calm, but then Robin’s texts came through and stirred it back up.

“Why did you have to go with her?” I ask quietly. No doubt he can hear the hurt in my voice.

Mason sighs. “Who else was I supposed to ask? No one was talking to me.”

Clenching my jaw, I fight with myself on how to answer that. It doesn’t matter that he’s right, that I would sooner poke my eyes out than listen to him. He still should have asked. I deserved the chance to know what he was planning, didn’t I?

“We could call him,” I say, changing the subject.

“Call who?”

I twist my hands together anxiously. “The repair guy. I’m sure he left his card. We could tell him the dishwasher is broken again …”

“No!” Mason snaps, yanking me around to face him. “Absolutely not. It’s too dangerous, Olivia.”

“And what you did today wasn’t?”

“Robin kept me safe. She kept the Sentinel distracted while I worked.”

Shoving away from him, I say, “Robin! I don’t care what Robin can do. I want those freaks gone! How long are we supposed to live with them next door?”

Mason blanches and turns away. He shakes his head slowly. “It’s too dangerous. We’ll find another way.”

“What way?” I demand.

He doesn’t have an answer. I storm away from him and slam my door behind me. Sleep seems like a distant possibility when I fall onto my bed, but exhaustion sneaks up on me quickly. I wake the next morning face down on my pillow still wearing my clothes from yesterday. Stiff and grouchy, and I drag myself through getting ready for school and skip breakfast entirely.

I’m up so late and take such a long time getting ready, the kitchen is empty when I wander by. I almost walk right past, but a thought stops me and pulls me over to the drawer where Mom keeps important papers. I pull it open quietly and fish through a container filled with various business cards. I find the plumber, the electrician, the guy that replaced a window a few years back, even Mom’s hairdresser.

Frustration threatens to boil over when I reach the last business card. Tossing them back down, the force knocks the container to the side. The corner of a green business card peers up at me from under the container. I move it aside carefully, scared and hopeful at the same time, and pick the card up.

Reliable Appliance Repair

I palm the card right away and push the drawer shut. Seconds later, sounds of Evie coming down the stairs send me scurrying for the hall. I step out a few seconds before she hits the last step. Mason trails behind her morosely. I grab my keys off the side table and head for the car, forming plans as I go.