Invisible Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Everything Winks Out

(Olivia)

“What day is it?” I demand of everyone at the table once the hunk of chicken stuck in my throat gets washed down with water.

“Friday,” Evie says with a confused expression. “Why?”

How could I forget? My heart rate skyrockets as I realize Hayden is here to pick me up for our date! My eyes dart over to Mason. His tight expression kills me!

I watch Hayden start walking up the driveway. My stomach twists painfully.

Dad looks over at me and says, “Were you expecting Hayden tonight?”

“Uh, yeah …”

“For?” Mom prompts.

“For our date,” I say quietly.

Everyone freezes. Dad looks rather shocked. Mom scrunches her nose. Evie’s eyes bug. None of their reactions draw my attention as much as Mason’s. I cringe as his head drops. Hayden’s knock sounds on the door, bringing Mason’s eyes up to mine. The agony holding his body tight kills me.

I turn to Mom and ask, “Can you get the door?”

Then grab Mason’s hand and yank him up from his chair. “I need to talk to you.”

Mason doesn’t object as I tow him through the hall to the kitchen. When we’re safely away from the front door, I drop his hand. It’s not that I don’t want to touch him right now. I just can’t think being so close to him. I take a step back and look up at Mason.

Clearly confused, Mason doesn’t say anything. He just waits.

“Mason, I’m sorry. I forgot Hayden was coming tonight.”

He shakes his head. “You don’t have to be sorry. I’m the one that screwed up. I have no right to hold you back.”

“No, Mason, I think I screwed up too. Evie told me you wanted to talk, and I want to hear everything, but I think I need to go with Hayden right now.”

“Olivia?” Mom calls from the hall, her voice questioning.

I glance at the hall, but my eyes are pulled back to Mason. “Just a minute,” I yell to Mom.

Turning back to Mason, I sigh in frustration. “I don’t want to go, but…I feel bad being mean to Hayden when he’s been so nice to me, and I’m pretty sure he still thinks I’m being abused, and ditching out at the last minute might make him more suspicious.”

“What? Why would Hayden think you’re being abused?” he demands.

“Uh…it’s a long story.” I shake my head and grab Mason’s hand. “Just, um, wait for me, okay?”

“Of course,” Mason says.

I throw my arms around him quickly. “Thanks, and sorry.”

As I pull away, it’s hard to make my eyes leave him. It feels good to let go of my anger at him, but there’s still something he’s hiding from me. Anxiety prickles around me as I finally exit the kitchen. What made Mason lie to me in the first place? I approach the hallway afraid to find out.

The smile that spreads across Hayden’s lips makes me stumble. Mom looks over at me curiously, not sure what’s going on.

“There you are,” she says with one eyebrow raised. Her head tilts to one side as if she’s waiting for an explanation.