Invisible Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Nothing in Between

(Mason)

My hands are pressed flat against the table as I watch Hayden and Olivia. Why is he so close to her? Why does he have to touch her so often? What is with his stupid smile? My fingers curl under into fists. Why is she letting him act like this?

“Mason.”

“Mason.”

“Mason!” Robin snaps.

I can’t bring myself to look away from Olivia, but I snap right back at her. “What?”

“Stop staring at them. It’s not going to do you any good.”

“It might,” I argue.

She shakes her head. “It won’t. Now stop it.” She gives me a moment to comply on my own, but when I don’t she kicks my shin from under the table.

“Ow!” I rub my leg angrily.

Robin just shrugs. “I told you to knock it off.”

“I bet he was involved,” I grumble.

Looking over at me with a confused expression, Robin asks, “Involved in what?”

“The attack last night. I bet Hayden lured her out into the open …”

“Give it a rest!” Robin snaps. She’d probably yell if she could, but that would draw a lot of attention. “Hayden had nothing to do with Olivia getting attacked last night and you know it.”

“He could have. He could be a Sentinel.”

Robin rolls her eyes. “If he is, he’s a pretty lousy one. You said you’ve known him since sixth grade. If he were really a Sentinel he’d have figured you out by now. They may not be able to see you, but they can feel it when you’re nearby, remember?”

“He could still …”

“Mason,” Robin says firmly, “he’s not a Sentinel. Drop it.”

Sinking into my chair, I fold my arms over my chest and continue to glare at Hayden. I knew he was interested in Olivia. He has been for a long time. It’s a miracle Olivia remained completely oblivious to his advances as long as she did. How can my luck be so lousy that the second I try to step back from Olivia, Hayden is right there to sweep her off her feet like some kind of freaking fairytale hero?

“Hey, Angry Boy,” Robin calls out to me.

I sneer at the nickname, but still look over at her.

“So, what are we going to do about these Sentinels running amuck through your neighborhood?”

“What can we do?” I ask. If I get too close to one of them, they’ll recognize me for what I am.

Robin shrugs. “I don’t know, but moping certainly isn’t useful.”

“Shut up,” I growl.

Tossing down her fork, Robin glares at me. “Look, for the record, I told you the whole pretending to date me thing was a stupid idea. I told you Olivia would be hurt. I told you to just tell her the truth about leaving.”

“I couldn’t tell her.”

“Haven’t you ever heard that whole ‘tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all’ saying?”

Rolling my eyes at her, I say, “It’s not that simple. As far as you know, once I leave, I’ll never come back. I’d be holding Olivia back when she could be finding someone she has an actual future with.”