Invisible Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Every Bloody Memory

(Mason) 

Leaning against Olivia’s locker, I watch her for a moment. It’s kind of weird how obsessive she is about trading books between every class. A lot of the other students only stop by their lockers once a day. Maybe she doesn’t like carrying very much weight in her backpack. Or…my mouth turns down…maybe she thinks Hayden will stop by.

“Hey,” Olivia says. “Sorry, I couldn’t find my math notebook. What’s up?”

Shaking off thoughts of Hayden, I say, “Don’t wait for me after school today. I think I’m going to hang with Robin for a while.”

“Why?”

The way she nearly snaps at me makes me pause. Is it just because she thinks Robin is a danger, or is it something else? Jealousy? I can only hope.

“Why?” I repeat. “Because you tend to be a little intense and judgmental when Robin says anything about Aerlings and Caretakers. I think she’ll open up a bit more if it’s just the two of us.”

Olivia’s nose wrinkles. I don’t care what Evie says, I love it when she does that.

“Just the two of you?” She bites the corner of her lip nervously. “Mason, I don’t know if that’s a good idea.”

“It’ll be fine. I want to know more about the Sentinels and Eliana. If that guy in the car really was a Sentinel, we need to be prepared. Robin knows more than she’s told us.” It’s hard to decide whether Robin is lying, scared, or something else, but I know she’s hiding something.

Olivia sighs. “You’re going to go whether I say it’s okay or not, aren’t you?” My expression is answer enough. She sighs again, her lips frowning anxiously. “Please be careful. Don’t go too far away, okay?”

“Just the park down the street from the house.”

She frowns again, then does something unexpected. Her fingers curl around mine for just a moment before sliding away. “Fine, but…just watch yourself around her, okay?”

It takes me a moment to respond. “I will.”

As she turns and heads for her next class, I follow, wondering about Olivia taking my hand.

***

When I slip up next to Robin, I startle her so badly she drops the books she’s carrying and stumbles over the mess. I can’t help laughing as she kneels down to pick them all back up. I’d help her if I could, but that would only make more people stare than are already watching and shaking their heads. Robin doesn’t seem to notice and stands up with a smile.

“So, did you come by just to scare me half to death, or was there some other reason?” Robin asks as we walk toward her car.

“What are you doing right now?” I ask.

She shrugs. “Homework. Why?”

“Just wanted to see if you’d wanna hang out for a while.” I’m sure that didn’t sound nearly as casual as I meant it to, but Robin doesn’t notice. She grins at me in response.

“Sure!” Her eyes dart around the parking lot. “Just us, or should we wait for Olivia?”

“Just us,” I say. “I thought we could head over to the park near my house. Olivia’s dad still doesn’t want us wandering around too much since that guy in the car showed up, but I thought it’d be nice to get out for a while.”