Invisible Chapter 20

Chapter 20

What. Just. Happened?

(Olivia)

After I ran away like a scared little girl this morning, I wasn’t surprised when Mason didn’t show up in class that first hour. When he didn’t reappear for second hour, or lunch, or any class at all, I started to panic. It was stupid to take off like that, I chide myself as I race for the Jeep. I have to explain that I was just overwhelmed, confused. Between last night and this morning, I needed some time to think and sort out the jumble of emotions I was feeling.

Mason will understand that, right?

I stumble to a stop when I get to the Jeep and find it empty. Evie comes up behind me with a scowl.

“Thanks for making me walk to school this morning.”

Her prissy, snotty schoolgirl attitude doesn’t have the effect on me she was hoping for. “Where’s Mason?” I demand.

Evie stares at me like I’m crazy. “How would I know? You two usually head out here together. What, you haven’t seen him?”

“No! He’s been gone all day. He didn’t come to any classes.”

“Serves you right,” Evie snaps. “Next time the guy of your dreams kisses you, you might want to try for excited rather than running off like a lunatic.”

Scowling back at her, I say, “It was kind of a lot to take in at once, and you barging in and sticking your nose in our business certainly didn’t help.”

Evie cocks one eyebrow at me and puts her hands on her hips. “Look, it’s your own fault that you’re way too dense to figure out that Mason was in love with you all these years. I think everyone else realized it! It’s your own fault, too, that instead of falling into his arms when you finally woke up you ran away like a rabbit from an angry farmer.”

Spinning on her heel, Evie waves at Aaron and tells him to wait for her, even though she knows Dad would be pissed. Before bailing, she turns back around and says, “You know, I was really happy for you this morning, but now maybe I’m thinking that Mason could do better if this is how you’re going to act about it.”

Evie flips her hair over her shoulder and stomps over to the waiting Aaron. I am left staring at her backside in shock. She acts like I just doomed myself to being alone for the rest of my life! I just needed some time to think, for crying out loud! Is that so shocking? I certainly wasn’t expecting to find myself making out with Mason in the bathroom this morning. My whole world feels like it’s been stood on its head. It’s felt like that since the day Robin showed up, but this morning was the real kicker.

She’s wrong, I tell myself as I climb into the Jeep. What does she know about something like this? Panic sets in as I realize my little sister knows way more about relationships than I do. I think just about everyone knows more about relationships than I do. The Jeep barrels down the street to the house.

I can’t even begin to describe the strange feeling that settles over me when I pull into the driveway and spot Robin’s sedan next to the curb. What is she doing here? I tear my seatbelt off and scurry into the house. As I round the corner, I almost collide with Mom on her way out of the kitchen.

“Olivia!” she gasps. “Slow down! What on earth are you in such a hurry about?”

“Have you seen Mason?”

Mom chuckles, “Technically, no, but he just let me know he was home.”

I start to run off, up the stairs to his room. My mom’s voice stops me.