Invisible Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Indescribable

(Olivia)

I am falling to the ground as my scream dies in my throat. My breath blasts out of me as my attacker’s body falls against mine. Terror races through my veins as I try to kick out at him, hit him, knee him, anything! My elbow connects with something hard. The attacker groans, but his grip only tightens.

Suddenly his weight shifts on top of me. He rolls to the side and yanks me up to my knees. I try to scream again, but he shoves a hand over my mouth and yanks me upright. Desperate, my foot crashes down on his instep.

The pain loosens his grip just enough that I can turn myself in his grip and wedge my hands between us. The fierce fury in his green eyes stabs at me viciously. A lock of blonde hair falls out from his hood, across his forehead and scarred cheek.

Even that seems terrifying, sending my panic into overdrive. I shove against him, trying to break his grip. A surge of relief shoots through me when I gain a little separation. I bring my knee up hard into his groin, hoping it will be enough. He doubles over, groaning in pain, and I spin out of his arms.

The two steps I take are fueled by panic before his hand snaps down on my ankle and my feet jerk out from beneath me. Screaming and kicking out with my free foot, I connect with his shoulder. He growls as he launches himself forward, crashing down on top of me. His fist follows, right into the side of my head.

Spots of light wink in and out as my head falls back to the ground. Pain throbs through my skull as a dark shape flies in from the side and crashes into my attacker. The sudden loss of crushing weight on top of me makes me roll onto my side. Trying to get up only sends me sprawling.

Shaking my head, I try to clear the spots away. The pain of moving sends a wave of nausea coursing through me and I collapse back to the grass. Breathe. Breathe. It’s all I can manage. The seconds that pass feel like hours, but when I finally manage to look up and see Hayden grappling with the attacker my head suddenly clears.

“Hayden!” I call out in panic.

I scream when the attacker’s fist pummels Hayden. He fights back, landing a punch to the guy’s chin, but takes one to his side right after. A million thoughts race through my mind as I try to reach Hayden. I don’t know how to fight. My phone is nowhere to be seen. I have no idea what to do, but I have to help Hayden!

Blue and red lights flash through the neighborhood, pulling the attacker up off Hayden in an instant and sending him running for the opposite street. Hayden scrambles back up to his feet and tries to take off after him, but I grab his arm and hold him back.

“Don’t!” I cry. “Please!”

“Olivia,” Hayden calls out as he folds me into his arms, “are you okay?”

I don’t have time to respond. An officer rushes up to us, but Hayden hurriedly points him in the direction of the fleeing attacker. Just as he takes off after him, another officer comes running up.

“Are you two alright?” he demands.

Hayden pushes me back and takes a look at me. “Are you?”

I don’t know, but as I stare at him my heart breaks to see the blood running down his lip, the bruises springing up on his arm and face, and I know the hits to his side have got to be agonizing. “I’m fine,” I say, “but you …”

“I’m okay,” he says as he pulls me against his chest. “It’s okay. Everything’s alright now.”

The officer puts a hand gently on my shoulder. I flinch at his touch, but his calm and reassuring voice keeps me from freaking out. “My name is Officer Kimball. You both look like you’re going to need some medical attention. Stay put for a minute while I call this in, then we’ll figure out what happened.”