Invisible Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Separation

(Mason)

I am exhausted, but having Olivia’s body tangled up with mine makes it impossible for sleep to claim me. Both my body and mind are begging me to give in and rest, but I know this is a rare opportunity I would be a fool to squander. So I hold her quietly, breathing in her scent as I contemplate her last words.

Denying that what she said sent a rush through my body would be a lie. I know she didn’t mean it like I want her to, but hearing her say that she will love me even if I am some kind of freak…alien…whatever I am, means more to me than she will ever understand.

I freeze as Olivia shifts, crossing her leg over mine and snuggling even closer. It takes a moment for my heart to stop racing. The desire to turn my head enough to press my lips against her forehead is very nearly too much. Lying in my bed with her is pure torture, anything more and I wouldn’t be able to stop myself from waking her and admitting how much I want her.

But I know how that would go over. Seeing an expression of disbelief or disgust on Olivia’s face as she tries to comprehend her “brother” telling her he’s in love with her is not something I want to experience.

That thought alone is depressing enough to make me reconsider sleep. My eyes close, but a sound in the hallway snaps them back open. Memories spring up uncontrollably, flashing back to that day. My arms tighten around Olivia’s body. I am ready to scoop her up and run if my fears prove true.

The sight of Olivia’s dad shuffling down the hallway sends a shot of relief through me. I laugh at myself for being so paranoid and relax my grip on Olivia. A second later, panic sets in that he will realize Olivia isn’t in her room and is in fact sleeping with me. Olivia may only see me as a brother, but her dad saw the potential for something more from the first day. Before I can wake Olivia and warn her, her dad appears in the doorway calling Olivia’s name softly.

It takes me a moment to remember that he can’t see me. All he can see is Olivia sprawled awkwardly across my bed. In a moment of desperation, I opt for rolling away from her and pretending I am still asleep. I quickly decide to let Olivia figure a way out of this.

“Olivia,” Olivia’s dad calls again as he crosses the room, more awake now. “Olivia.”

She doesn’t stir until he reaches down and gently shakes her. Slowly, her eyes blink open. “Dad?”

She pulls away from me as her dad sits down on the edge of the bed. I am working hard at pretending to be asleep, yet I can’t help but notice that Olivia doesn’t even seem embarrassed at being found in my bed. Grimacing, I realize that the thought probably never crossed her mind that something more than her comforting me was going on.

“Olivia, what are you doing in here? Is everything okay?” her dad asks.

Rubbing her eyes, Olivia mumbles, “Yeah, Mason was having nightmares again. They were pretty bad. He woke me out of a deep sleep.”

Olivia’s dad puts an arm around his daughter, ruffling her already mussed hair. “Sorry, kiddo. I wish I could hear him. I feel bad that you’re always the one who has to get up in the middle of the night to help Mason. That should be mine and your mom’s job, not yours.”

“I don’t mind,” Olivia says, and I know she means it. Not smiling in response to her kindness is a challenge.

“Is Mason okay?”

Olivia shrugs. “I don’t know, Dad. I’m worried about him. Tonight’s nightmares were really bad. I’m scared that Mason thinks something terrible is going to happen.”