Chapter 15

Somebody said they don't understand MJ's beef with Sincere and Effrin, mainly Sincere, so I'll clear it up. In the second book, when Sincere was sleeping with her sister's husband, Marcus, which eventually drove the wedge between Monroe and Marcus. I'm sure you guys won't remember this but the son they had is MJ, who was alive during the time Sincere was sleeping with Marcus and he feels like Sincere broke his parents up. So, I hope everything is cleared up for you guys. :)

Effrin Jr.

I looked down at my ringing phone and sighed. It was an unknown number calling me but I decided to answer it. Dealing with Marcus for as long as I have, I've gotten used to answering unknown calls since he likes to switch phones every couple of months or so to keep himself protected from the government. I pressed 'answer' and put the phone up to my ear.

"What's up?" I answered. I sat silent, waiting on Marcus to answer but all I heard was a female sighing. "I said, what's up. You gon' answer or what? Damn."

"O-Oh my bad, I just haven't heard your voice in a really long time," I heard her laugh.

I scrunched up my face and sat up a little when I heard her voice. It sounded just like Mama's voice but I'm sure I'm wrong. I haven't talked to Mama in years so I doubt she's actually calling me. The last time I spoke to her was about seven years ago when I had to check my family. Victoria and Deonte were getting a little too reckless and I had to put my hands on them, and Mama and Effrin Sr. were just irking my nerves. I hate the way my Dad tries to control me, just like how I hate that Mama listens to him and swears he's right even though he's a dumb ass. I didn't mean to break my Mama's hip when I pushed her, but she was asking for it. She saw how angry I was, so she shouldn't have been trying to calm me down. She should've just let me be angry instead of getting in my way.

"Uh, new phone, who dis?" I asked, making her smack her lips.

"It's me!" she sang. "It's your Mom, Sincere. Don't tell me you don't have my number saved in your phone."

"You've had the same number all of my life, but when you called, a different number popped up."

She sighed. "Right, I forgot I changed my number. I decided to change it up and do something different, you know? I can't be walking around with the same number or else people will be able to track me down baby. But, enough about me, tell me what you've been doing. I haven't heard from you in awhile."

I took a deep breath. "Yeah I know, I've been laying low for awhile."

"Why? Are you all right? If not, you know I can come over and check up on you baby."

"No, no!" I quickly stated. "I-I'm not sick or nothing, I just needed some time to myself to get myself together. Mama?"

"Yeah?"

I sighed. "I just wanted to apologize about what I did the last time I saw you. I was heated, and I know that's not an excuse, but that's the only one I can think of besides me just being plain old stupid but I'm sorry Mama. I really am," I told her. Part of me was sorry but I really didn't want to apologize to her about it. I wanted that to be a reason for her to feel guilty about listening to my father and walking away from me for years, but I had to apologize if I wanted to get on her good side.

"Oh, that little injury? I was up waling like nothing happened in three months. It's no big deal baby but I do appreciate the apology."

"Thanks Mama. So, how are things with you and the family?" I asked, even though I really didn't care about any of those mother fuckers.

"Oh, the family's doing great. Everybody's just fine but they've all been asking about you."

I smirked. "Is that so?" I asked, rubbing my chin.