Chapter Thirteen

Iris entered the General's office feeling more nervous than she had ever felt in her life. The moment she entered, he was already prying into her eyes. He looked as stoic as he usually did and the lighting of the room brought out the scar under his eye.

Iris knew that he had been waiting on her by the way he looked at her. He nodded and motioned for her to take a seat at the table at which he was at. She looked toward his gesture, and pulled out the chair from underneath the shabby wooden table.

"You wished to see me, General."

The statement was more of a formality than anything. He nodded once more before standing up.

"You." He began, voice sharp with suspicion, "Who are you?"

She did not reply to him solely because she was scared for her life. Did he know? She hoped that he didn't. She tensed up when she felt a hand grip her shoulder. However, she realized it and immediately forced herself to relax. Whatever he was to do, she'd have to prepare herself for it.

"I am Ingred, son of Elliot Gwenneth. "She turned to look him in the eye, "I have already told you who I am, General."

Her words were not disrespectful. She was only stating a fact. He removed his hand from her shoulder and went to sit down again. He looked into her eyes for many long moments before finally speaking again.

"You were impressive, to say the very least, in training today. How could you be so when I only gave you those daggers two weeks ago? You're faster than anyone I've ever seen, though you are the smallest rogue I've ever seen. I'll give you that. You've picked up your skill too quickly for me to comprehend. I find it hard to believe that you were telling me the truth when you told me in the arena that you'd never picked up another weapon besides the sword you had. Were you lying to me, Ingred?"

She understood his accusations. Bearing false information to the superiors was an ample reason to kick a soldier out of the camp, and she knew that. She knew that liars were always a liability. Liars could be spies.

"I have practiced a lot, General. I've went to bed bloody every night and woke up early every morning to get tired and bloody again. I can assure you... I am Ingred Gwenneth. Are you not content with my ability? Should I stop training? Surely that is not your wish."

It was a valid point. She could at least tell the truth about the daggers. She really had never touched one. She hoped that he could not sense the lie she had told about her name.

"No. I still wish you to practice," he said after another few minutes.

In a way, she was flattered by his questioning. She was sure not many people would ever hear the lecture that she had just heard. "But..."

He paused again, looking around the room.

"I wish you to fight me again."

This surprised her, to say the least. She did not expect to have to duel with him again.

"Now?" she looked incredulous, and she knew it, "I showed you my abilities earlier. Why would you need any more proof?"

Iris mentally scolded herself for questioning him. He didn't seem to notice, but rather answered her question. She saw a ghost of a half-smile on his features before she heard his reason.

"Call it pride... if you will."

"Will you fight with daggers, General?" she asked, knowing the answer already. He wasn't trained to fight with daggers, after all.

He simply shook his head and she watched him grab his sword and shield. It was hard at the present moment, but she knew she should focus, else she would make a complete fool of herself. Iris soon realized that she had continued to sit for a second too long because the general was already headed outdoors.