Chapter Twenty Eight

The next few days on the road were monotonous, filled with nothing but the steady beat of horse hooves and the less-than-entertaining sound of small talk between the men. Iris had decided in these few days that she would rather be risking her life fighting Tokens than participating in conversations that held no real worth. Gods, she was bored. For what felt the millionth time today, she looked up at the sun's position to predict the time.

"Still morning?" she grumbled under her breath. This earned her an accusing look from Kayde. She didn't know why he made such a face at her, she knew for a fact that he was just as bored as she was. She shot him a look right back, and he immediately looked forward again at the dusty road ahead of them.

"We should arrive at Alabast in two days' time," said the general, as if he had heard her, "Do not lose heart, men."

Iris wondered for a second whether or not he had actually heard her speak. She didn't think that he had, unless he had some sort of supernatural hearing. Either way, the news was both relieving and aggravating. At least she knew when they would get there; in truth, two days wasn't that long. It was only aggravating because they had been traveling for days on end and two more days -if Iris thought about it- seemed like way longer than it should.

"What are we to do in Alabast?" Shen asked, "Same thing we did in Morthrior?"

"In sort. I do have a couple of people I will have to meet with. However, one of those will be someone there for all of us to meet," the general answered.

"More spies?" she asked.

"For me, yes. I'm going to find out all about this fortress that I can before we try and delve into it. As for you, we will all be meeting with... someone very special, if that's the right word for what I'm thinking," Zayn trailed off, as if suddenly lost in thought. "It's probably not." This made Iris's mind whirl with even more questions.

"Who?"

"Don't know the name. I was just told a few things about him. I doubt that the people that told me about him even knew his name."

"Why not?" Iris had to ask.

"Well, I don't imagine he's given it. In fact, I'd not be surprised if he hasn't said anything of use to us. But still, he could be a beneficial resource for us if we can get him to open his mouth." Zayn's answer was very vague. Still, it was enough information to draw a question from Ra.

"Forgive me for pryin', but if he won't speak, how is he an ally? How is he a resource?"

"That's the thing. He's not. An ally, that is. In the heat of the war, we've taken a Token captain prisoner. He'll have very useful information if we provide sufficient... motivation. If anyone knows anything about the Token operation, it'd be him. Maybe he'll talk." His voice sounded both hopeful and doubtful at the same time, and he took a glance at their surroundings. Hearing that they had a chance to rendezvous with the enemy almost excited Iris.

"What happens if he refuses to talk?" asked Dregar from in front of Iris. "I imagine he's not too eager to give away Token secrets."

"If all goes as planned, I think I might can make him speak. But if not, then he is at our mercy," he said simply, making Iris's stomach turn in knots. By the way he said it, she could tell that there would be no mercy. If the Token did not talk, he would surely die. In a way, it made her sad that life was such a fragile thing and that they had the power to take one away. In addition, she knew that if they did not kill him... he might kill innocents of Eldia. That was more lives.