Chapter Nineteen

The next morning, Iris and the others took no time gathering their bearings and heading away from the camp. The horses were beyond well-rested from the time that they were stationed at the camp, so they were able to trot at a faster pace than usual. Iris was a bit surprised at how well Gretchen had adjusted to her surroundings.

This, by far, was the most cooperative that she'd ever seen the mare. In silent approval, Iris stroked the horse's head.

"The fortress is just south of our borders. Should take a while to get there." The general interrupted the silence once the encampment had faded from view, "so we have ample time to prepare. Also, we will be making stops along the way to our destination. There are a few things I need to tend to before we begin."

"Like what kind of stops?" Dregar asked simply.

"Mainly?" the general said it as a question, but then kept talking, "Just a few towns. Some bigger, some smaller. I'd like to speak with some of the people that have been to this place. As far as other business, that will be mine to complete on my own. Also, I figure we will need to rest during our travels. The inns can supply us that. However, there will be some nights that we spend outside."

Dregar seemed satisfied with this answer.

"Will we see any enemies on the way?" came a question from Jerhth, the archer.

General Zayn took a moment to answer. "We can only hope not. Some of the smaller villages we visit are bound to be packed with thieves. We might meet a bandit or two on the road. Shit, with all this Token business about the southern border... I wouldn't be surprised to run into a few of their men along the way. However, as to whether or not we'll actually be attacked, only time will tell."

Iris noticed the general shift in his saddle. She had a couple of questions, but for now, kept quiet.

"What is the likelihood, would you say?" Jerhth asked. There wasn't any hint of nervousness to his voice. Rather, he just sounded inquisitive.

Zayn didn't mind the question. "Likelihood? I believe that we should be able to avoid most of the danger quite well, given we all keep our senses about us. As far as this trip though, there is bound to be bumps in the road. Be prepared at all times... especially on the road."

That ended the conversation between the archer and General Zayn.

Iris wondered simply what he wasn't telling them. After all, he had told Dregar that there was some business he would have to tend to alone. Would he, in time, let them in on the rest when it was necessary? Was it some sort of secret mission? A secret mission within the secret mission. Dear gods, her head hurt now.

Despite her curiosity, she decided it best to keep her mouth shut tight.

The golden eyed archer was seemingly very alert, staring into the depths of the forest. This made Iris look around herself. Kayde was nowhere to be seen. In fact, this made her wonder if he had even noticed that they had left the camp yet. With another thought, she knew that Kayde was too intelligent to simply just miss their departure.

He was here. If she needed help, he would come to her aid. All she had to do... was ask, or find a way to ask. At least, that was what he had told her. She found some comfort remembering those words.

"Will we travel all day today?" The voice that came from behind her was very brusque. She knew that Ra was the one who had spoken the minute the words escaped his lips.

"Yes, we will. Where we stop for the night depends on how fast we go. I imagine the horses will get tired in a while."

As of now, she did not worry about where they would stop. She was more focused on their location now. She recognized this area, as it had been the same sprawling forest that she had traveled within to get to the camp in the first place. Which, in turn, let her know that it wouldn't take long to leave the depths of the forest and enter the seemingly endless clearing she had encountered on her first journey through here. She also knew that there was a town not far from the forest's edge.