Chapter Forty

Just as General Zayn expected, it took three days to reach the village of Chroma. The entire group was thankful that they hadn't had any problems reaching it. Yet, there was something that Zayn did not anticipate. Just because they had not encountered hardships... didn't mean Chroma hadn't.

Chroma, as it now stood, was in ruins.

There were dead bodies everywhere, laying about the street in piles. Clusters of battered survivors tended to the bodies, only looking up when they heard the sound of the soldiers' approach. The group watched in shock as three men and two women were washing the blood from a corpse's face. Immediately, the general rode forward towards those villagers. They flinched at the sight of him at first. They hadn't had the best luck with the last men that had come in with swords.

In the meantime, Iris readied herself to follow after him. Before she could move, though, she heard a horrified gasp from behind her. She turned her head to see Ra and Shen, who were both looking at Jehrth. The archer's face was devoid of all color, mind for the tint of green that insinuated that he might be sick.

"What's wrong?" Iris asked, confused.

"This is where I grew up. This is where I live," Jehrth said in a low voice, "This is where my family lives."

"Gods," Iris whispered, and took another good look at the ravaged town, "I'm so sorry, Jehrth. Maybe they survived --your family. It looks like some of the people here did, by some force of luck. Do not fret until you know for sure." Even with the consolation, the archer still looked positively terrified.

Iris would have said more, but she decided it would be best to leave him alone for now. She knew her words wouldn't make him any less worried for the fate of his loved ones, so it was best to not say any at all. She rode Gretchen up to the general.

"What happened here?" she heard him ask the forlorn villagers.

"We were attacked by the gods damned Tokens," said one man within the group, "It was last night. They came with torches and swords. They killed a lot of us... burnt a good bit of our marketplace. But... we stood against them. All of our men fought against them with the weapons we have. Ah, but it won't be enough time. By what I understand, they'll probably regroup and come back for the rest of us tonight. They have to know by now we're just making them work for it.

"Hmmm," the general rubbed his chin.

"Unless... unless you were sent to help?" Iris could see the hope flash in the man's eyes from where she sat, "Please, soldier... help us. I know you're captain or general or whoever the hell gives the orders probably didn't tell you to, and perhaps you might get into trouble... but it is our lives. Please."

Iris saw Zayn nod.

"Thank you, sir." The man introduced himself as Rehan of Chroma, taking the general's hand in his and shaking it profusely. "May I get your name? All of them?"

"This is Ra, Dregar, Shen, Jehrth, and Ingred," Zayn motioned to each one.

Rehan squinted his eyes. "Jehrth?" A moment passed. "Hell, it is you, isn't it?"

Jehrth nodded.

"Ah, I'd say welcome home but..." he looked around pitiably. "...it isn't much of a home anymore, is it?" Rehan's eyes clouded with sorrow. Finally, he turned back to the general. "And your name?"

"Zayn Rothstead."

"The Zayn Rothstead?" one of the others asked, "You're the general, aren't you?"