Chapter Fifty Seven

Iris stood up, taking a step away from what was now Jehrth's ashes. Whispering a small prayer, she started to walk away. She noticed rather quickly that the general wasn't following her. She turned to look at him... finding him placing some of the ashes in a small waist-satchel. It wasn't the proper funeral urn just yet, but it was the best they had for now. Iris couldn't help but notice now, as Zayn turned to the side, that blood poured from the whip wound on his cheek. The cut looked deep.

"Sit down," she ordered, "I need to have a look at your face."

He didn't question her, or say anything actually, he just did as she wished. As soon as he was relaxed, she knelt down beside him and began lightly brushing the blood from his face. He just watched her. Iris's gaze was soft as she let her hand move across his skin.

Quietly, she placed her hand over the wound. With a gentle touch, she felt around the edges. The pulled the bottom flap down to gauge the injury's depth.

"Shit," she whispered after a second, "This is deep."

He wasn't sure how to respond. She looked into his eyes.

"We have to get this cleaned up."

Zayn looked around. "We don't exactly have the time for that. The emperor bids we leave."

"The emperor also bids I die. Right now, I'm not concerned with whether or not he's angry with me." She looked to the door. "I'm going to get some water. Stay here or I swear to gods I'll give you a matching set."

She didn't wait on an answer, but scurried off through the back door. The thin fabric of her skirt flew elegantly behind her as she walked. General Zayn sighed, and just kept sitting. Might as well stay. What did he have to lose?

After a moment, she was back... this time, carrying a satchel over her shoulder, and a small bowl and washcloth in her hands."

"What's that, Iris?"

"Supplies, General. From the emperor's previous room." She sat the bowl down and pulled a couple things from the pack.

"You don't have to call me that, you know? I'm no longer your General.

"You're my general until the day I die," she answered, dipping the cloth into the water.

With a defeated sigh, he looked to where she was threading a needle. He knew she intended to stitch the wound after it'd been cleaned. He chuckled, "You sure you know what you're doing?"

"I didn't save your life three times to kill you now," she pointed out, and starting washing his face.

And once she was done, she stitched. As she pierced his skin with her needle, the general sucked in a breath. It made a sort of hissing noise through his teeth. After a few minutes of cleaning up the blood, Ra walked in. With wide eyes, he simply stared at Iris and Zayn in disbelief.

"What are you doing?" he called out.

His presence didn't seem to surprise Iris.

"Stitching," came her simple reply. "I'll be out once I'm finished."

Ra nodded without a word, and went outside.

The general flinched when she poked again after the minute's break.

"Are you alright?" Iris asked, concerned.