Three Quarters

I'm so tired.

Blargh.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

While before it may have been a type of blasphemy to use a knife that had once been in the hands of a murderer, a child no less, Sans came to the conclusion that it would have to do. The bone he'd been using had sustained a long crack that ran throughout three quarters of the blade when it had skidded across the thick layer of ice, and he figured if it was to be used anymore, it'd shatter and he'd be defenseless. But it was plainly obvious that the flower had left this for him on purpose. But the reason was unknown to Sans.

At this moment in time, he was trudging through Waterfall, holding the lightweight blade in front of him and examining if it had been cursed or enchanted or something. No such thing was evident however. It was just a normal knife as far as Sans could tell. And he should know, he knew magic when he saw it.

He ran a finger smoothly down its surface then looked into the shiny metal, his face glinting back at him as though it were a mirror. He gulped and hoped he'd never have to use it. Following in the footsteps of the kid who solely caused this whole thing wasn't the best way to start your day. Holy Asgore, did Sans want pacifist Frisk at his side. They would probably be much more determined in this situation than he felt right now.

Sans didn't want to look at the repulsive weapon no more than he had to, so he tucked it away within the inner linings of his jacket. Distant rapids of a waterfall could be heard deep in the secluded cave as he approached. Sans paused in front of his old sentry station, parked right near a blue, softly glowing echo flower that had a slightly similar resemblance to Flowey. Its light started to pulse as Sans walked near it, but it did no more. This struck him as odd, since he remembered everything around him had turned grayscale a short time before. And indeed, everthing was bland and dark around him but the flowers. He strolled over to the sentry station and ran a hand along the dusty counter, kicking up particles into the air. Geez, this thing got dirty really fast.

As he was examining the empty ketchup bottles scattered on the ground behind the station, an all too familiar childish laugh sounded behind him. "So you managed to overcome your impending sadness and kill your brother... interesting. Chara might actually have use for you as a puppet of theirs if they'd recognize your potential. Too bad you're too weak to do some considerable damage. What a shame."

Startled, Sans whipped around, expecting a small golden flower with a twisted facial expression looking up at him with those soulless, mocking eyes. But there was no one there but himself. He started to get frustrated at how much of a coward the flower was to not come face him, but then he realized the echo flower was still planted there innocently next to the sentry station, and it wasn't pulsing. Instead, it gave off a dull blue light like it was afraid of shining any more than it had to.

Sans backed up, still keeping his eye sockets trained on the echo flower in suspicion, then whipped around and continued strutting down the tunnel. He jabbed his hands in his pockets and sucked in a breath. No way was that flower going to get inside his skull with all this annoying bullying. Sans was going to strongly march up to the castle door and maybe punch Chara square in the face. He hadn't sincerely laughed in ages, and that was a good place to start again.

With this thought in mind, he pressed forward a little more determined than before. He walked over the bridge that jutted out a few feet from a gigantic waterfall that usually spewed rocks at oncoming passerby, but was doing nothing of the sort today. He looked down into the dark cavern below, of which there was probably no escape. He was far from afraid of heights, and in fact, it seemed to invigorate him a bit. His confidence began to dwindle however as a shrill laugh dipped in poison floated over to him from an echo flower positioned on a lower platform. He swore he felt the worn wooden planks underfoot give a jostle like something big had just landed on it and gave a soft growl, but there was no one behind him, he found.