4 and a Half

Chara's Undyne leaped down from high above Sans and landed several feet in front of him, creating a crater in the ground because of how high she had been. His soul sunk at the repulsive sight of her.

"Well well well!" she snarled, baring silver fangs. "If it isn't my favorite skeleton! Delighted to see ya, you bonehead!"

Sans couldn't help but back up, clutching the knife harder. If he had skin over his knuckles, they would've gone white from his fingers being clasped around it so tight.

She shrugged, pretending she had no idea why Sans was wary of her. "Hey bud, what's the matter? Temmie got your tongue? How's about I help you with that, friend?" She spat that last word out like it was a food she forgot she hated. She formed a fist above her head, her armor pieces clanking against one another in little chinking noises. In less than a second (you would've missed it if you blinked), another sharp spear made of pure, dark electricity materialized in her hand and she chucked it at Sans with amazing agility. He barely had a second to get out of the way before the enemy weapon almost shattered his soul to pieces. It did catch his jacket however and made a thin tear in the fabric on his arm about 4 and 1/2 inches long. He shuddered, trying to catch his breath. The surprise attack had knocked the air out of him as he tried to dodge, and he stood there wheezing.

Her ugly sounding laughter bounced off the rock faces. "This'll be fun. When I kill you in a painful scorching death, I'll be rewarded handsomely!"

Sans didn't know why, but all he could think of as a suitable reward was fish food. He guessed his mind was hysterically glitching out and trying desperately to pretend that there wasn't a gigantic toothy-grinned threat in front of him.

Undyne shrugged, tossing a crackling energy spear from hand to hand as if it was a harmless toy. "But you know, I really should play fair. I mean you deserve some protection, don't you?"

Sans wondered what she meant by that until his soul melded into a buoyant green. Watching in total dismay, a thin, transparent version of his soul became visible a few layers above his original- except the shield-like one was ten times bigger. It was almost as tall as he was. It was a very peculiar thing, but would work great for deflecting oncoming attacks. He experimentally swung it around, pretending to block things with it, noting its durability as a real shield and how lightweight it was. It was almost like holding a feather.

Undyne had begun pacing a bit, waiting for him to finish testing the waters. When Sans finally planted his feet apart and raised his soul-shield in an attack stance, she asked "You done?"

Sans nodded, shooting another glance at the protecting layer of his soul nervously. What if it was a trick and it didn't work? It sounded like something Chara's minion would pull.

Undyne turned tail and only the crunching sound of her footsteps against gravel, her loud armor, and a fierce howling wind could be heard. Sans believed she was going to leave and abandon the approaching confrontation until she halted and snapped her fingers, her back still turned. Instantly, black electric spears erupted out of nowhere, littering the sky with tension, darkness, and evil energy. One launched itself, aiming to pierce Sans' bright green soul, but the skeleton swung his arm to block it with the protector, squeezing his eye sockets shut and hoping for the best. The crisp sound of glass shattering rang in his skull and a light pressure was applied to his shield as the two objects collided at full force. Sans opened his eyes wide in disbelief, just managing to see the tail of the first spear dissolve into nothingness against his deflector. His soul was unscathed! But then he remembered all the others that littered the sky before him.

As soon as his breath was back, Undyne released a shrill laugh and practically went berserk on the spears, shouting insults and taunts to try to throw him off as well. Dozens and dozens of the sharp things all at once tried stabbing him painfully in the soul, and the crude remarks Undyne yelled at him in a mocking sing-song voice were not helping one bit. Sans had to admit that he was getting quite a workout from this exercise though. He could feel the beads of magic sweat roll off his skull that most likely plopped onto his jacket somewhere.