XXVIII

*Walks through the door* Sorry I'm late!

I know I know, yell at me for not updating lately. My only defense is how busy and exhausted I've been TvT I'm only planning on having a few more chapters left, so hang tight guys! I hope the finale will leave you all starstruck! *cough*ihaven'tthoughtofityet*cough*

Also, this chapter will require the use of your powerful imagination! Go nuts guys!

Well, there it was. The MTT Resort. This place held mixed feelings and multiple memories for Sans. He fondly remembered in one timeline- it might've been the first one that Frisk was in- he decided to take the kid out to lunch here. Sans had taken to telling the story about how he'd tell jokes to Toriel on the other side of the Ruins door. And Frisk looked like they'd actually been submerged in his tale. Well, as much they could've been with that blank look they always carried around on their features. He remembered scaring the shit out of them like it was yesterday:

"now, i hate making promises. and this woman, i don't even know her name. but... someone who sincerely likes bad jokes...has an integrity you can't say 'no' to."

"do you get what i'm saying? that promise i made to her... do you know what would've happened if she hadn't said anything?...buddy."

". . . you'd be dead where you stand."

That event had definitely made Frisk more wary of him from then on. And then a few timelines later, they killed everyone despite Sans' threat if they got out of line. But at least in the end they got what they deserved. And by that, he meant their death, not that their soul had unleashed an even more dangerous being whose intentions weren't pure whatsoever. So maybe it hadn't been Frisk's fault... they had merely been used as a puppet in order to achieve the ultimate goal. And Chara had definitely reached that goal. But still, Frisk had complied with their demands. The only thing that stood in the way of more power was Sans himself and maybe Flowey, but the flower was only cooperating out of fear for Chara's newfound powers. Would Flowey betray him in the end? It seemed very likely, but the plant did seem rather uneasy when he talked about Chara. Either way, Sans would be ready for whatever came next.

Sans approached the glass doors of the MTT Resort, the once blue bricks a pale gray and looking a little more rundown. The plants around the front entrance looked lifeless and wilted too, the leaves shriveled up and dry. The inside was even more of a train wreck. The floor was covered in spots of mud and dirt like a stampede of monsters had been through here, and soft elevator music was blaring out of a speaker up near the ceiling. It used to be a much faster, happier tune, but Sans suspected that the track may have been broken because it was playing a much slower version of the usual song at a lower key. The Mettaton fountain that would spew its liquid contents onto the floor was now only burbling a small trickle of water that splashed on the concrete rim of the fountain. As Sans passed it, he could make out thin cracks everywhere on its surface too.

"this place really falls apart without anyone looking after it, huh?"

Flowey huffed beside him. "That's a blessing. Thank goodness there's no sign of that blundering robot who only cares about how many viewers get to admire his legs."

Sans hated to agree with Flowey, but he knew it was true. He never particularly liked Mettaton, probably because Papyrus had always been enthusiastically infatuated with the pop star. Flowey was right, the robot with a soul gave the impression that the only thing he cared about was himself and his ratings.

Sans bypassed the fountain, getting a clear view of the glass double doors that led to the Core- or what remained of them. All that was left was the framework connected to the hinges, the glass shattered underfoot into razor-edged shards. Taped to the wall nearby was an unsettling sight. It was a poster with a picture of Mettaton on it being bathed in a spotlight while a crowd whistled and cheered behind him. The crowd consisted of monsters from every area, whether it be Woshuas, Madjicks, or Froggits. The tape suspending it to the wall looked fresh, slightly agitating the duo.