Chapter Seven: Memories

Subject: First Kiss? Check!

Body: Before I get into it, YES! I GOT MY FIRST KISS! …but it was in a janitor’s closet. And…I didn’t know the kisser. How horrible is that?! But seriously, guys. I was just randomly attacked, pushed into a closet, and kissed by some random person! Okay, I know it was a guy. But who?! I’m only partially friends with one boy and that’s Nathan, who I’d just befriended a day ago. And I completely rule out Ricky, as he doesn’t even want to be seen with me (he made me get out of his car two blocks away from school and walk the rest of the way!). So, who could it have been? I don’t want to jump to conclusions. It looks like I’m going to have to investigate. I’ll keep you posted!

Love, Emma!

            I hit ‘submit’ and waited as replies bubbled up. I loved the audience I broadcasted to on Tumblr. They all seemed to be there for me, even in the worst of times. Once again, the username “sensitive-in-secret” commented:

            Tell us more about this Nathan next time. He sounds interesting. I love your blog entries. Keep it up, Em.

            That message made me smile. I closed my computer for the night. I was dressed in my pajamas and had finished all my homework. I was feeling on top of the ball, and truthfully, pretty damn awesome. I had just gotten my first kiss by a stranger. That had to mean someone had the hots for me. And that was a good thing.

            A knocking came from my door and I looked up. Ricky was leaning against the entrance, a grim look on his face.

            “What do you want?” I scowled, getting up from my desk and walking over to him.

            “Listen, Emma,” A slight shiver rolled up my spine. The way he said my name was still something I was getting used to. But, he wasn’t calling me ‘princess’, so this was serious. “About today….I-I’m sorry about treating you like shit this morning. I don’t know what got into me.”

            “Yeah, that kind of hurt…a lot.”

            He winced. I immediately regretted my words.

            “Sorry.” He mouthed again, looking straight at me. Any anger I still had for him melted away.

            “Well, whatever. It’s over with now. So, don’t sweat it.” I decided to let it go.

            A smile played at Ricky’s lips. “Thanks, Princess.” He called and headed back for his room.

            “Wait,” I called out and he turned, halfway in his room. Ricky looked at me with confusion. A lump formed in my throat and I couldn’t seem to form the question I wanted to ask. “W-why did you say those things to me this morning? What kind of stuff do you know about me?”

            Ricky’s face twisted through many different emotions and landed on a smile.

            “What do you know about me, Ricky?” I repeated, loving the way his name rolled off my tongue.

            “I guess you don’t remember, Princess.” He smiled, a nostalgic gleam in his eyes. He stood at his doorway and I did the same. Ricky was wearing the same sweatpants from this morning, which sagged lower than before. His hearted boxers showed and I had to admit, looked very cute on him. He wore a simple blue tee that was too small for him. His hair was sticking out in the most perfect way.

            I felt like utter crap when I compared myself to Ricky. My untamable hair was smashed up into a messy bun and I had just washed my face, so it was left pale and translucent-looking. I wore a simple The Strokes t-shirt and some girl-boxers, which were decorated with cats. I needed to remember to dress better around this family.

            “What do I not remember?” I urged him to continue.

            “We’ve met before,” His words filled the empty, dark hallway and I felt a draft creep towards us. It was about 10:30 and everyone had retired to bed. It was just us two. “In fact, you saved my life.”

            My mouth dropped and I scoffed loudly. “Yeah, right.”

            He smiled happily. “Fine, don’t believe me. But I’ll tell you the story anyway.”

            I switched my weight to my other foot and crossed my arms, ready to hear this “story” that had obviously been made up inside the mind of Ricky Stephens.

            “I was eight and you were six. We were at some old, rundown park and our moms were having some get-together,” I noticed he hesitated when he mentioned my mom. “You and I went to go play near the pond and watch the ducks. I’m not sure how it all happened, but I fell in. It was deep enough to drown me, and I’d never learned how to swim. Amazingly, you jumped in after me and saved me. You brought me back to the surface, Emma.”

            Trying to forage for the lost memory in my mind of me playing lifeguard, I recalled the slightest notion of a gross, mossy pond and playing with a young boy. But, the image was too blurry and vague.

            “I repressed most of my childhood memories.” I said coolly.

            Ricky frowned. “Whatever. I just thought I’d tell you.”

            I smirked and turned to head off to bed.

            “Before I go to bed, I must say, you’ve got quite an ass on you, Princess,” Ricky snorted and I turned, furious. “And your hair looks fabulous.”

            The sarcasm in that last comment sent me over the edge. I grabbed the closest thing off my desk and chucked it across the hall, straight at Ricky. It whacked him in the stomach and he staggered back.

            “What the hell?!” He shouted and lifted up my full water bottle from before.

            “That’s what you get, you pig!” I laughed, and closed me door, trotting happily to bed. I could hear Ricky’s chuckle from the hallway and a grin grew across my face. Even though he could be a total ass, he was fun to be around.

            And I had a lot more “fun” planned for Ricky.

********

Hi guys! Sorry that was a bit short. I've been getting busier and busier with school. But don't fret, as I will try and upload as soon as I can. Alright, cutie. I'll catch ya on the flip side! <33