Chapter Forty Three: All or Nothing

Sleep was not easy. I drifted in and out of dream state, not ever knowing if I was awake or not. I’d missed the comforts of my bed and room, but something still felt off. Maybe it was because he wasn’t sleeping across the hall.

            I woke early and decided to dawdle a little on getting ready. I took a thirty-minute shower, combed out my hair, picked out a good outfit, and actually put on makeup for the first time in what felt like forever. All of my old toiletries were still pushed back under the sink, spider webs growing on their card-boarded walls.

            When I couldn’t find anything else to do in the bathroom, I lingered in the hallway, peering into Ricky’s bedroom. Where his furniture had lain was now filled with boxes. All of his posters had been taken down and there were no more remnants left of the boy who used to sleep here. It was truly depressing.

            I finally let my stomach win and joined my family for breakfast. I took my usual seat and began picking at my waffles.

            “It’s nice to have that seat filled,” Henry commented without looking up from his newspaper.

            “Emma, did you see Ricky this morning?” Michelle asked and I froze mid-bite.

            “H-he was here?” I swallowed.

            “Yes, he came to pick up some more boxes, take a shower, and grab a snack for the road. He says the hospital food is absolutely dreadful.”

            So that’s why it’d taken forever for the hot water to start running in the shower this morning! Aha! My suspicions were proven correct!

            “No…I didn’t see him. Did he know I was here?” I asked.

            “I wasn’t awake to tell him, so I doubt it,” Michelle stabbed at a strawberry and popped it into her mouth.

            Damn. So close to seeing him! I sliced at my waffle in rage.

            “Are you going to the hospital today, Em?” Henry asked.

            “I think so. But I’m a bit nervous,” I confessed. “Hospitals kind of freak me out.”

            “I understand. They are a bit creepy. But, don’t you want to see your friend?”

            More than anything.

            I nodded, busying myself with the zipper to my jacket.

            The harsh ringing of the doorbell made us all look up from the table. Luna scampered to answer the door.

            “Maybe it’s Aunt Joyce!” Michelle joked, getting up to follow after Luna.

            I couldn’t laugh. Sadly, I’d “forgotten” to tell Aunt Joyce that I’d left college and come home. I don’t think she’d be too happy to learn my choice. Hopefully she hadn’t already gotten the letter telling her about my leave of absence.

            There was a greeting, and soon the sound of fast feet against the flooring thumped through the house. Instead of Michelle emerging from the hallway, Hailey and Maggie came into the clearing.

            We all met eyes, and a look of disbelief crossed over each of our faces. A strange silence fell upon us, but only for a split second. And then they were running for me.