Chapter Twenty Six: Her Own Personal Dream Catcher

(back to) Emma’s P.O.V.

            The feeling of suffocation gripped me tightly and I struggled, fighting against the unknown force. I opened my mouth to scream, but water gushed inside, muffling the noise. I felt myself float down, down, down until I was shrouded in murky darkness.

            “Emma,” came a watered-down voice. “Are you ready to die yet?”

            Déjà vu hit me hard.

            “We’ve been waiting for you to join us for so long now,” another voice whispered.

            I tried to speak but my voice was silenced by a loud growl. I sunk down deeper into the lake until my feet grazed the mossy bottom. Two figures stalked forward, holding hands; large beasts followed behind them.

            “Don’t be afraid,” my mother cooed, my father and her coming into view. “We’re not here to hurt you.”

            “Don’t you love us, Emma?” my father questioned.

            I nodded involuntarily.

            “Then you will die!” he hissed and suddenly, the wolves charged forward.

            “Stop!” I shouted.

            My voice finally broke free and the weight of the water was lifted off me. I swung upwards, tearing the blankets from me. Sweat dripped from me I could hear the pounding of my heart in my ears.

            “Damn it!” I cursed. “What’s with these stupid dreams?!”

            I got off my soaked bed and stumbled through the unknown room, trying to find the door. It was still pitch black outside and I didn’t see well in the dark.

            It was our last night at the lake house and all I could think about was getting the hell away from here. I wanted to be back in my own bed and have James’ arms around me. After the whole Brennan ordeal, all I wanted was to give James a giant hug. I didn’t care about anything else.

            Finally finding the door, I opened it and crept down the hallway. I didn’t really have a destination; I just needed an excuse not to go back to my bed and sleep with the wolves.

            Everything was quiet. Well, almost everything; Ricky was faintly snoring in the room down the hall. But other than that, there was nothing that broke the thick blanket of silence that was spread out across the whole lake house.

            I noticed a light coming from one of the rooms. Curious, I snuck over and poked my head in. A smile immediately appeared on my face.

            Charlie was sleeping, sprawled out across his bed and breathing loudly. He looked peaceful with his hair in his face and his pajamas buttoned unevenly. His table lamp was still on. I walked inside and flicked it off for him. But he stirred, his eyes fluttering open.

            “Wha-? Who’s there?” he asked groggily.

            “It’s me,” I whispered. “Emma.”

            He mumbled something I couldn’t understand and rolled over. I scratched his head softly and his hand reached up to take mine.

            “Why are you…sad?” Charlie slowly spoke, his eyes drooping.

            “Why would you think I was sad, Charlie?”

            “I can…see it in your eyes,” he murmured. “What makes you sad?”

            I didn’t know how to respond. The fact that a ten year old had read my emotions had left me dumbstruck. Maybe I wasn’t as good at hiding my feelings as I thought I was.

            “I just had a dream about my parents, that’s all,” I replied.           

            “Whenever I have a bad dream,” he paused. “I sleep with my parents to help chase the dream away. Why don’t you sleep with me tonight?”

            “O-okay,” I stuttered, awkwardly climbing under Charlie’s warm bed sheets and tucking myself right next to him.

            Charlie twisted into my body, nestling his head into the crook in my shoulder. He sighed contentedly and nuzzled my collarbone.

            “Emmy,” he breathed. “I love you, sister.”

            Unexpectedly, tears formed in my eyes. This was the first time that one of the Stephens had said they loved me. Charlie’s words floated through my ears and straight to my heart, warming my chest. The heat radiated through my whole body, all the way to my toes. I cradled Charlie closer to me, kissing the top of his head.

            “I love you, too…brother.”

Short, I know. Let’s say that the next few chapters (including this one) are going to be called filler chapters, which are fun and pointless little chapters that build up to the big finale! …well, it’s not really a finale. I hope you enjoyed this little Charlie fun.