Chapter Thirty Two: Gifts

WARNING: This was not re-read or edited and is way overdue. It’s also quite short. I’m so sorry!

Nathan’s P.O.V.

            “Nathan!” I heard my mother’s call from my bedroom. “Emma’s here!”

            I scrambled to my feet, almost knocking over my desk in the process. My heart pounded with anticipation as I raced down the stairs and straight to the door. I stumbled to a stop on the last step, catching a whiff of Mom’s potpie. If Mom was cooking potpie that meant Dad was coming home tonight. That was good.

            “Hey, Nate!” Emma’s voice pulled me from my thoughts and I glanced towards the front door.

            I felt myself inhale deeply as my eyes finally rested on Emma. There she was, standing with her schoolbag slung over her shoulder and a warm smile on her face. She was looking happier since the last time I’d seen her. Maybe saying goodbye to James was good for her. Her ocean eyes sparkled and her button nose glowed red from being out in the harsh winter weather. Emma’s curly brown hair was messily tied in a bun and sat atop her head. She was still dressed in her school uniform.

            “Hi,” I breathed. “You ready to study?”

            “More than ever!” she exclaimed in that bubbly soprano voice of hers. “If it wasn’t for you, I’d be failing Algebra right now.”

            “Well, you two have fun. And Emma, if you want, you can stay for dinner,” my mom offered.

            Emma took an exaggerating sniff at the air. “It smells really good, Louise, but Mrs. Stephens is cooking my favorite meal tonight and I promised I wouldn’t bail on her.”

            “That’s quite alright, child.”

            With the chance, Emma and I both started up the stairs for my room. Giggling, Emma stuck her foot out in front of me and I tumbled to the carpeted floor.

            “Last one to your room is a rotten egg!” she sang, racing towards my door.

            I got to my feet and ran after her, but she was already standing in the doorway. I quickly did a mental check of my room’s state; I didn’t want her seeing my boxers or hidden stash of cigarettes I kept by my bedside table. Emma walked in, dropping her bag to the floor. I stumbled in after her, watching intently as she hobbled over to my desk.

            “You have a Tumblr?” she gasped, pushing up my laptop screen to get a better look.

            Oh crap. That’s what I’d left open. It was only just a matter of seconds before…

            “Hey!” Emma exclaimed, anger flashing across her face. “You’re sensitive-in-secret, aren’t you?!”

            And the cat was out of the bag. I searched my mind for something decent to say.

            “I can explain,” I started.

            “I hope you can!” she growled. “Harassing me on the Internet is so not cool, man!”

            “I…I just was really angry that you’d picked James. But, I’m over it now. Haven’t you noticed that I haven’t commented on your blog posts?”

            “That’s because I don’t post anymore!” she cried, but I could see the anger had passed. “You scared me so bad; I thought you were a stalker out to get me. So, I stopped posting about my life.”

            “Oh…sorry,” I rubbed my neck awkwardly, looking everywhere but at her.

            “Well, whatever. It’s done with. Now, help me with stupid Algebra.”

            We both spread out our books and binders across the floor and grabbed the Chex Mix. Emma had proclaimed that this was going to be the “Most Epic Study Session of Our Sophomore Lives” and I gladly went along. As we looked over past notes, I studied her face, watching for signs of sadness. She was looking surprisingly happy for a girl whose boyfriend had just left to join the army. I longed to pull her into my arms and tell her that I loved her. But I wanted to take it slow. Now that nobody stood in my way, it was going to be my time to be her boyfriend. I knew Emma had feelings for me; I just had to pull them out of her.

            “So, what are your plans for Christmas?” she asked, still focused on her current math problem.

            “I’m going to Santa Fe with my family. We’ll be back before New Years, though.”

            “Oh,” Emma said glumly. “I was thinking maybe we could go caroling or make a snow fort. I heard that we’re going to have a white Christmas this year.”

            I reached for her hand and she looked up, meeting my eyes.

            “Don’t be sad. I doubt you’re going anywhere this break, so we can hang out when I get back. It’s not like the Stephens have some log cabin in Colorado or something,” I reassured her.

            Emma smirked. “Actually, they do. But Michelle doesn’t like to travel during Christmas. She says it’s ‘too holy to leave home’ or something.”

            “Hey,” I spoke up, remembering something. “I’ve got something for you.”

            “You do?” curiosity sparked in her eyes and she watched me as I got up and ambled over to my closet.

            Dodging falling tennis balls and ski jackets, I reached in and grabbed a wrapped box. The red ribbon tied on top tickled my nose as I pulled it out of the wreckage and walked back over. Emma was on her feet, hands already outstretched to take the present.

            “Merry Christmas,” I handed her the gift.

            She tore at the paper and quickly peeled the box apart before reaching in and grabbing hold of a giant teddy bear.

            “Nate,” she mumbled, staring lovingly into the big black eyes of the stuffed animal. “You shouldn’t have.”

             “Well, I did. So get over it,” I joked, feeling the blood rush to my face, coloring it a dark red. “I just thought you might need it, with James leaving and all…”

            Her pink lips drooped into a frown and her brows furrowed. She peeled her eyes away from the teddy bear and stared up at me. It was as if I was pinned to my spot, not able to move. Her ocean eyes held me in place and I watched as they swirled with new emotions.

            “I’m not sad about James. I’m happy for him. Really,” Emma tried to say with strong words, but her voice cracked at the word ‘happy’.

            “You don’t have to be fake around me, Em.”

            Her eyes glassed over and she bowed her head. A small tremor made her hunch over a bit and I could hear the muffled sounds of her cries. I’d broken her mask and Emma was now truly expressing her feelings.

            My arms were around her fast and she burrowed into my chest.

            “Thanks for this,” she said between whimpers. “I can’t be myself around anyone but you.”

            I hugged her tighter. I felt the teddy bear’s plushy fur rub up against my skin and knew that Emma was still clutching it to her. It looked like I’d scored on getting her the stuffed animal; I knew she’d need it over the holidays while I was gone.

            Emma slowly pulled away, wiped her face, and smiled once more, but it looked real.

            “Sorry about that,” she mumbled.

            “It’s okay, Em!” I smiled back. “Let’s go get some cookies from the kitchen.”

            She took the bait for food and grabbed my arm, whisking me out the door and to the kitchen.