Part 8 : No Strings Attached

It had been two weeks since the fateful evening that Riccardo decided to place his lips against mine, and to be honest, I couldn't think about anything else. I wanted him to kiss me again and again and again... hell, I wanted for him to do more than to kiss me. Two whole weeks and I was in despair.

By far, he was the most sinfully gorgeous man I'd ever laid eyes on. But it wasn't just his face. Oh no, it had stopped being just his face a long time ago. He was smart. He was funny. And when he wanted to be, he was damn cute. He actually listened to the things that I liked, even though I babbled a ton, he would always listen, although it wasn't part of his job descripton or mine.

It made me angry. How dare he mess around with my emotions? I was in love with him so much that it hurt - and there was no point even trying to deny that to myself. I wasn't meant to love him, he was Riccardo Alonso - international ladies man, first class prick, but he was perfect in my eyes, I could see no wrong. I knew I was naive, but I wouldn't have it any other way, because I just wanted him to hold me, to look at me in the way that he did, hell, I wouldn't care if he made some kind of lewd comment about my ass or my legs. I just wanted to hear his voice.

That's why I did what I did.

It was only in the spur of the moment. Pressing that button... it just felt so right, like releasing all of my pent up anger into one click of a button.

I didn’t mean to do it.

September helped of course.

I was just so angry! The rage was coursing hot and heavy through my veins. He hadn't contacted me since the kiss, so I could only presume it meant absolutely nothing to him. And I wasn't prepared to face that. I'd been staying at September's for the week. I couldn't go back to my apartment, in both the hope and the fear that he'd show up.

It was a normal Friday evening with the girl who I considered to be my sister. September and I were having a chick flick marathon. I didn't usually go for that type of movie, but it was safe to say I was pretty much heartbroken. Sad. It was so sad, because I'd only kissed this man once and known him for a few months, but I was head over heels. We'd always been sappy, ever since we hit puberty and boy troubles came along. Movie day was a ritual for us. Getting over old boyfriends, crying over teachers and bullies and the girls that our ex-boyfriends picked over us.

Every girl had some sort of connection to these women, Bridget Jones, Andie Anderson, Carrie, Thelma and Louise, Baby.... hell even Juliet. They were a part of our journey, through the tears, the laughs, the smiles, the frowns.... growing up from girls into women.

As the credits rolled, September turned to me with a smile.

“I’ve had an idea.”

I looked at her incredulously, “September Wood? An idea? You must be joking!”

September rolled her eyes, “Oh, you must think you are SO amusing Kimberley Scott, but this idea is a genius one, trust me, girl."

I sighed, rolling my eyes, "If you must."

“You're going to California, my beautiful, talented, best friend.”

“What for?”

September exhaled, “What do you think? You're going to stay with your parents for a few months, soak up the sun, and you'll come back, beautiful, tanned and ready to roll!”

“And why would I need to do that?”

“That man of yours, Riccardo Alonso. AKA, the sexy, megabucks Puerto Rican billionaire. Once he sees you, tanned, slim, toned and what's more, single, he won't be able to keep his greedy hands off you! And then you'l have the upper hand. Then you'll have him begging on his knees to have even a slice of your cherry pie."

"Cherry pie? Sep!"

"What? It's a metaphor! Besides, you tell me that is not an absolutely genius plan. We just have to show him exactly what he's missing. You know men Kim, we have to show them, make it clear and easy for them to see, they won't get it otherwise."

I hesitated a moment. At first, it seemed like a dreadful plan. I mean, if Riccardo didn't want me just as I was..
what the hell was the point?

But then the idea began to grow on me. I imagined myself, a runway model version of myself, someone who could actually compete with his ex-wife, strutting into his office and demanding all his attention. Being so attractive, he'd eye f*ck me in the courtroom and then rip off my clothes in his office later. I'd be desirable, I'd catch his attention, and then maybe, just maybe, he'd want me...

“Book it.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“I said, go ahead and book the damn tickets September Wood. I want Riccardo Alonso in my bed as much as the next woman, hell, even more than the next woman. I don't just lust after him September, I'm crazy in love with him. But there's absolutely no way I can let him know that. He'll just have to figure it out for himself."

She raised her eyebrows, “Okay then.” She opened her laptop and double clicked on a big button, "You're leaving tomorrow. Tell work you're taking a sabbatical - effective immediately.”

“I’ll do it tomorrow. Riccardo Alonso will not exude any power over me anymore. Get me that bottle of red."

"Kimberley Scott...let's do this."