Chapter 6: Khushi

Khushi slowly made her way into the suite, feeling along the wall until she found the light switch. She pressed the buttons and the darkness around her slowly transformed into a beautiful room, all gold, red, and blue.

The elevator doors opened into an entrance hall, at the end of which lay a large lounge area complete with theatre system. Doors from the lounge lead off into two bedrooms, one on the left and one on the right, and a glass wall separated the lounge from the balcony.

Khushi walked unhurriedly, drinking in every hint of his presence in the room. His shoes were placed neatly along a wall, his files were on a small table with his phone on top of them. His laptop sat charging on the dining table, its light blinking steadily.

She touched everything lightly, tears running unchecked, and finally entered the bedroom he'd chosen to sleep in. Khushi ran her fingers over the suit that hung in the closet and smiled at the bottle of cologne sitting on the vanity in the bathroom.

She somehow felt more alone here, in his hotel room in London, than she had in their bedroom.

She froze when the elevator dinged, struggling to think of what to say to Arnav-ji when she saw him, only to realize it was the bellboy when she heard him call out a cheery hello. She reached the entrance hall just as he finished unloading her things.

"Thank you," she said, suddenly conscious of her accent.

"Pleasure, ma'am," he smiled, tipping his head, "Have a good night, now."

Khushi smiled at him as the elevator doors closed, and then started to move her luggage into the bedroom. A flash of Arnav-ji's face as he had told her she had no character stopped her. She stood undecided in the lounge room, running possible scenarios through her head, before placing her things in a hidden corner of the suite. She would let him decide where she stayed – if she stayed – when he returned.

That decision made, she turned her thoughts to her immediate needs. She was hungry. Nani and Di had packed her some food, so she took that, warmed it up, and ate it sitting on the sofa. She didn't like the English TV, but a few minutes of changing channels revealed that she could watch Hindi channels here as well. She decided to catch up on the serials she'd been missing while she waited.

As each hour passed Khushi became increasingly anxious. Her scant supply of her favourite sweet, jalebi, had disappeared all too quickly. Where was Arnav-ji? Why hadn't he returned? Did he know she was here, and was he avoiding her?

Finally, Khushi couldn't fight back sleep any longer. She thought of going to the second bedroom but her traitorous feet took her to the one her husband had already claimed. She took his suit's jacket from the closet and wore it over her clothes, reveling in being at least this close to him, and climbed into the bed.

Enveloped by his familiar scent, she sat against the bedhead and brought her knees up, resting her head against her arms. She would just close her eyes for a few minutes, she promised herself.